5-Channel amp that plays well at low volumes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a good 5-channel amp that can musically drive my speakers at relatively low volume levels. I have a small room, 9x17 with 7.5 foot ceilings, and my speakers are relatively easy to drive (ACI Sapphire IIIs for the mains and Aria 5 kits from SpeakerCity for everything else). My listening is 70% music/30% HT, with future plans for multichannel SACD.

From what I understand, playing well at low volumes requires relatively higher-powered amps with plenty of headroom.

I've got a budget of $1,500 and don't mind buying used.

Any thoughts?

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I don't know about brands that are available but for low level listening, class A amps or class A/B amp with a high level of class A (5W or greater) operation before switching to class B mode will generally sound best.

3. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

A balanced amp and preamp will give you 5db more right off the bat, Ideally thats how you can get what your looking for[​IMG]
    Bob

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Low volume listening doesnt require lots of power or headroom, saying that a sign of a good amp is its character, detail and just how well it works at low output levels.
    A word of caution, dont be fooled by "headroom", an amps headroom rating is not in itself a good indicator of quality, I have fried many speakers over the years thinking I have plenty of headroom, The IMO the best sounding amps are class A and they have no headroom. . .
    You want plenty of RMS power, the reason people think that big amps sound good at low levels is generaly because you have either loudness compensation on or bass and treble turned up to add some "weight" to low volume music, what you are doing is using more power than you think. Again get an amp with ample power RMS, do not even consider headroom in your thinking, an amps "headroom" specs generaly mean something entirely different than you think, this headroom is for such a brief period, it does add detail etc to the sound but dont include it in your power requirements, that has to be over and above your requirements.