5 Channel amp - No center - Can I power a sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Phipps, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    I have been watching a debate over center channel versus no center channel. I recently moved from PSB Stratus Silvers w/C6 center to Martin Logan Aerius w/o a center channel (just for the record, this sounds much better than the PSB running the center, who would've thunk it!). I now have a question...If I used a 5 channel amp, such as a cinema grande, and did not use the center channel output for a center speaker, could I use this channel to power a sub (SVS 20-39). If my processor will allow me to change the crossover point @ 80/120/150Hz (it is a Pioneer VSX-29TX). I might change to an actual processor, instead of a receiver later on.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think by using your 5 channel amp to incompass a SVS sub, you limit the range you can run the sub. Bass can be taxing on a 5 channel amp. I wouldn't do it, I will have to check out the post in re: to center channel. I think you better off using the center channel.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    He's right. It will limit the performance of the sub. It should still sound great but an amp with a dedicated power supply will really drive the sub the way it should be driven. Try it and if it sounds good to you, then go with it. However, I would get another amp dedicated to the sub if I were in your spot.

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Don't know much about the Cinema Grand, but I would tend to agree with the previous posters for passages when the sub is being asked to kick it into gear. I'll add that the other channels can also suffer during these times, and it could easily be audible.
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

While I agree a dedicated sub amp might be the optimal sol'n given that the SVS subs are prtty efficent and that they can pound with even a 100 watt receiver they should be fine running off a 5th channel...of course a dedicated amp would increase head room (providing its a good amp) but I'd be willing to bet that a single channel on the grande would do very well. For what its worth I've got my sonosub running off two channels on my HK amp that also powers my rears and centre and I've yet to hear and complaints about the lack of bass (well other the the neighbours!)
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

6. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

I tried driving a SVS 25-31 with an unused channel from an EAD Powermaster 500. Although it sounded pretty good, the amp soon failed and had to be sent back to EAD for warranty service - so beware.
    Now, the Powermaster 500 is only rated at 100w/channel X 5, so a more robust amp might be better suited for the job. Only three of the EAD's five channels were in use at the time, driving a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's and the SVS 25-31, so I figured the power supply could tolerate the load. But after a particularly intense listening/demo session, the EAD failed to produce sound from any of its channels. Thank god the amp was covered by warranty. Great service from EAD, by the way.
    I now use a Marantz MA6100 monoblock to drive the SVS 25-31 without any problems or worries. The EAD is powering a pair of Studio 60's and a Studio CC, and the whole setup sounds great.
    Cary

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The SVs are extremely efficient. So even a basic 75-100w will work pretty well with them. Look at it this way...if Tom Nousaine reached the clean output levels with the 20-39cs he reviewed with about 250w(he had 300w at his disposel..but indicated he never approached the limits of the amp)...then with say 125w...he would have measured about 3dB less....or 106.5dB overall. That's about a dB less than the HGS15...not bad.
    So while 100w or so won't push a SV to it's full potential...having 3dB less then it's full potential is still quite good.
    TV