What's new

5 ch Amps (1 Viewer)

Kelly D

Auditioning
I have just upgraded my system to paradigm monitor 11,s in the front, I moved my monitor 5's in the rear and I have a CC 350-center speaker. I am using a technics SF-DX7 receiver which I like very much, this setup sounds awesome but I would like to know what a good (affordable) 5 ch amp I could upgrade to just to help the power of the technics reciever.

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
Kelly,
First off, Welcome to the forum.
First question is, What is your budget?
By including this you will get far more feedback.
I have a Paradigm setup as well(Studio 80s,20s,CC), and recently I purchased a Sherbourn 5/1500A.
I wrote a pretty long review for this amp, but here is the abridged version:
For the Price I paid, there is NO BETTER DEAL ON THE MARKET FOR A 5 CHANNEL AMP!!!! The amp came in a double box 23 days later, and I set everything up. The first thing played on the new setup was some Clapton: Wonderful Tonight(my girlfriend was over and she likes that song). Both of our jaws hit the floor:D. I was amazed at how much this amp opened up my speakers, and how much more emotion there was in the music, and just how much better everything sounded. I can't believe how much more detailed the music is, and for movies, this amp kicks some A$$. If you have any questions about this amp, please feel free to contact me.
For a full review, Click HereSherbourn 5/1500A Review
Thanks,
Fred

Kelly D

Auditioning
Thank you for the welcome.

Yes it does seem that I have forgotten to mention the most important thing (price) doesn’t it. (g)

Well I would like to keep the price to under $1000, as the wife does get a little jumpy whenever I go near my stereo.

Although I don’t mind spending more if the results are worth the expense.

Thanks for the input Fred I will definitely read your unabridged review on this amp.

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
I was recently in the market for a good 5 channel amp and ended up getting a Parasound 1205A after reading some great reviews and getting some great feedback from owners. It is a wonderfull sounding amp with plenty of power(140/200 x 5) for my system. I paid $799 for a brand new unit.... great price/performance.

Mike

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Kelly,

Check out the Rotel 1075 (120x5). It falls right in your price range and is a great value. I think you can find some reviews of it on Rotels website.

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
I had the SF-DX7 and it is a great receiver. Better than a lot of people will give credit. You have one problem though, there is no preouts on the receiver. You will have to get rid of the SA-AX7 which is the receiver portion of the setup. That will leave you with only the SH-AC500D, which is the surround processor that is included in that package. This you have to use as your pre-amp. This will work fine but you will lose your tuner and video switching capabilities as well as that great flexible crossover built into the receiver. If you do not care about the tuner and video switching, this will work great. The Rotel 1075 would be a great amp to power those speakers.

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
See If you can get your local dealer to let you audition several brands I own a 1205a and have had it for about six months now and love the proformance on movies as well as music the are pushing my cdm7nt speakers with ease and they really are agood amp for the money.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
These are all good recommendations(Parasound 1205, Rotel 1075). Others to put in your list of audition are the Outlaw and the Anthem MCA5 and MCA50.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing Kelly,is that $1000 U.S or Cdn. funds? If it's Cdn. I think the Rotel is out of your reach.I listened to this 3 weeks ago and it sounded great but the dealer wanted $1800 Cdn.:angry: If you ever make it to Calgary or Edmonton,check out A&B Sound,their getting rid of all their Adcom seperates.I got the GFA-7400 for $900 Cdn. with a 6 year warranty.It's made a huge improvment in music as well as movies.If it is U.S. funds then I would go with the Rotel if you can do a little dealer squeezing;)
Good luck,Wayner

Kelly D

Auditioning
Well thanks everyone you all gave me a lot to think about and to research.
I was hoping to spend about $1000 us. In price, but I had not thought about me not having any pre-outs on my reciever.:angry:
Now I think an Amp only upgrade is out of the question, as I really do need the video switching capabilities
Thanks again for the help everyone I guess I'm going to have to think this through a little further.

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
A parasound 855 (85x5) would be in your price range. Because of the halo line coming, they are dropping the prices on their amps.

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem as you. That is why I don't have the SF-DX7 anymore. I wanted to go the way of seperates but I could not afford the bucks so I ended up buying a Denon 3801 and am planning on picking up an amp to power my speakers when I recover from my recent house purchase :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks