What's new

5/15/07 The Fountain HD DVD Combo & Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The cover art is hideous beyond belief, for such a gorgeous film.

I'm getting a high def version as well...can't wait.

Great news, though. This is one of the movies (well, the previews of it ;) ) that really pushed me to HD.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Awesome. I'll definitely get the BD. Now if we could just get Lion's Gate to release Requiem For A Dream. I don't know if Pi would really benefit from a BD release, though.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Same here. I'm so glad that I finally have a BD player so that I can avoid these combo meal discs on HD DVD. I'll still buy a combo HD DVD if I have to, like with Children of Men, but with this I don't have to.

Looking forward to it!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great news and a blind buy on HD DVD for me. :) After finally seeing Requiem for a Dream, Aronofsky could make a short story about fast food and I would buy it. :D

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
A combo-format HD DVD from Warner? Is this the first such release or have there been others?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Was lucky enough to catch this in the theater after seeing an extended preview at ComicCon. While my wife and I differed on what we thought of the film (I liked it, she didn't) I would definitely recommend it for at least a rental for those who like more esoteric films.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I expected maybe a little more from Aronofsky, but I really enjoyed it in the theater. I'll be picking it up on BD. Acting was good, story was convoluted as always with Aronofsky, though this one was more linear than his former films, and at the very least, very interesting. It is a bit slow at times, so be prepared. This film (as with all of Aronofsky's) is not for everyone.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm tempted to buy the combo, since I haven't made the leap yet, but it will depend on the price point. Combos would be much more appealing if they were priced more competitively with SD.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Sounds like the audio will only be a 640k Dolby track on both formats. D'oh!

Oh well, I heard enough good stuff about it that it will be a blind but if I can find it cheap enough.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Yeah, more lossy audio from Warner. I really wanted to get this! I'll hold off and see if a lossless version surfaces in Europe or Japan. I'd rather pay more and get it lossless.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've been kicking myself for missing this in theater. Glad to see I can see it for the first time in HD. I'll be getting the Blu-Ray myself....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not sure what the problem is with a 640K track. No it isn't a lossless track, but it definitely isn't low quality if that is what is being suggested... Check out the NIN: Beside You In Time BD and then tell me the 640K track isn't excellent. Not to mention this particular movie isn't exactly a shocker for sound (there are some points in the movie where there is little or no sound), though Aronofsky does integrate music into his movies very well; a well done 640K track vs a lossless seems like a non-issue on this one, IMHO.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

John,

I wouldn't say it is low quality...but I still want to know why they would leave off PCM on the BD?!?!? I don't understand how Disney, Fox, MGM, and Sony can do every title lossless on BD, but Warner has only done it once. They apparently think there is no demand for it. That's why I will pass on this release for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks