5.1 with RED/WHITE cable?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hey there,
I have an easy one for some of you...
I have a HTIB unit - SONY DAVFX500. So my PS3 is connected to my TV via HDMI. In order to output sound from my TV to my dvd/receiver combo, I use RED/ WHITE wires. I do hear all 5 speakers playing different sounds. Am I crazy, or what?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You either have the receiver in a "5 channel stereo" mode or the TV/PS3 is downmixing the digital audio to Pro-Logic. Either way, directionality is missing from the surrounds because they are either outputting out same channels(s) as the fronts or they are the mono surrounds in Pro-Logic. To truly experience digital 5.1, you need a digital audio link from the PS3 to the receiver.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Thanks for the response. I don't have a way right now to do that. I will end up getting a device that will allow me to connect multiple hdmi devices to a single unit, and then output the hdmi to the tv, while having the output on the device for audio use a toslink to my receiver.

That should work correctly, right?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That should work. THere was another thread around the lat couple of days that specified one of these devices. I think it was sold by Radio Shack.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mianharamii