5.1 vs floor standing speakers for musical listening

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Anton Check, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Anton Check

Anton Check Auditioning

New thread from Boston's VS Paradigms. I got the Boston's. My 5.1 setup consists of: CR75 fronts, CRC center, Micro 110's surround, and PV700 sub. It does sound as good as my two old Celestion floor standing speakers with 10" woofers.

QUESTIONS:

Is this a matter of setup? Will it ever sound as good musically speaking? The CR75's don't sound as warm as they did in the store.

I don't hear the same bass that I heard in the store. Is this an adjustment? My sub has frequency selections from 50 to 120 Hz. Which is best for hard base?

I can't hear the micro 110's at all. I found the setup mode where I can increase the signal dB on the individual speakers. Is there a risk of damaging speakers if I increase the dB value on the Micro 110's to say 8-10 and 5-7 on the sub?

My micro 110's are mounted about 9' high. Is this a problem.

2. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I also have my surrounds at about 9 ft. I have them set higher than the front three to get the best sound. I used a set-up tone from my normal listening position to set the speaker levels.

My wife bought me CR85s for Xmas. She listened to the CR75s, but liked the bass you get with the CR85s. The CR85s had a much closer sound to the CR95s floor standers we have in our other system. However, I still think the CR75s sound quite nice. If you haven't had the CR75s long, they will warm up as they age.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Do you calibrate your system? Proper calibration with one of the reccomended discs (Avai, Video Essentials, etc.) and a SPL meter is essential to acheiving the proper volume levels. If you calibrate and still have this problem, it may just be the way the movie is mixed.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Yes, calibrate everything. You made an excellent choice in speakers. You will find that as the speakers break in a bit they will start to loosen up. I think the Cr's get overlooked often with all of the talk of Paradigm Atoms and Titan being such great deals. The Cr's are the same price and I think offers more bang for the buck.
    You will not damage your speakers by turning up the db's in you receiver. If you hear it break up though you should turn it down as that could be clipping.
    The frequency selection on your sub will not effect the bass impact. It is just what frequency the sub will "kick in" I would set it whatever frequency the receivers crossover is set at or turn it all the way up. Experiment and see what you like.
    Give it time though....the speaker will break in and smooth out.

5. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

If you have set the crossover frequency on your receiver, I would set the crossover on your sub at the highest setting. Better yet, connect your receiver's sub pre-out to your PV700's "bypass crossover" input.