5.1 vs. 6.1 or 7.1....someone help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack DeWees, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Jack DeWees

Jack DeWees Auditioning

Greetings to all.

I'm having a problem deciding on whether to go with a 5.1 surround system versus a 6.1 or 7.1 surround system. Here the problem. The room is shaped like an "L" with the home theater system in the top section of the "L". I won't have a back wall and I'm working with 17' x 12 1/2' for the dedicated space for a home theater. At one time I was going to go with 7.1 and put the side surround speakers on the walls and mount the rear channels reflected towards the middle. In a room this small, would it just be better going with a 5.1 system? Thoughts?

2. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

as I have said many times I prefer 5.1 to an additional channel in the rear. If it is only going to be you sitting in the sweetspot you can get just as good of sound like this. Place your rear channel speakers about 2 feet above your ears in the sweet spot and place them on the sidewalls about 12 - 24 inches behind. This will create imaging to the sides as well as the rear directly behind your head. If you are going to have multiple rows or off axis seating want everyone to experience imaging to the rear of the room you will need to provide a rear effects channel to the rear of the room. Just place your 5.1 speakers in the place I told you and your sound will be sweet in that sweetspot.

3. Jack DeWees

Jack DeWees Auditioning

What do you this of Bi-Polar Surround Speakers vs. the one channel surround speak in this enviorment?

4. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

you mean bipoler v/s direct speakers?

I prefer direct radiating speakers and have listened to both. bipolers are good as well, its more a personel taste.