5.1 versus 7.1...needing help deciding

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack DeWees, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Jack DeWees

Jack DeWees Auditioning

I've posted this same question in another forum, but wanted to see if anyone in here knew this answer. Here's the problem. I have looked at both 5.1 and 7.1 systems. I'm working with a space that is 17' x 12 1/2'. The set up is shaped like an "L" with the upper portion of the room dedicated to the home theater. So no back wall to work with. And in a space that is 17 x 12 1/2, would 7.1 be an overkill? Or with the right speakers, could I get it to work? What's the thought out there?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I'm sure this is a minority opinion, but I believe that the point of diminishing returns is going beyond 5.1. We only have 2 receivers (ears) afterall. When I added a rear center (5.1 to 6.1) the improvement was subtle to say the least.

3. BrentMann

BrentMann Auditioning

Jack,

I'm going to disagree and say "yes, I believe it's worth it". I have an L shaped room that is deep and solved the problem cheaply and with a positive WAF. My receiver (an Integra 8.2) does 7.1, but I am currently only using 1 rear center (budget). I'm plan on adding a second rear when $ presents itself.

I get the speaker in the rear, I built a box with an end open towards the TV and bolted it to the ceiling. Painted it the same color as the ceiling and presto: cheap, appealing spot to place rear surround. I have an 8 ft ceiling, the box is roughly 1 ft high, so you've got to be pretty big it hit it. My initial response was not good, but after I angled the speaker toward the listening position and gave it a couple extra dB's it was all good.

There is a huge debate as to the benefit's of rear skr(s) on 5.1 encoded stuff, and I'm sure a lot has to do with the equipment (mechanical and biological), but I for one listen to nearly everything with the rear(s) on.

If your interested, I can post pictures of my rear center configuration.

Brent

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

In the five or so years that DVD has been around, I have yet to hear about a single disc encoded for 7.1 playback. I could be wrong, But even if there are some...

*98% of all DVD's are 5.1 at best. Many are in mono. If I moved my "rear" speakers from the back corners where they are now, to my immediate left and right, so as to make room for speaker 6 and 7, wouldn't regular 5.1 audio sound somwhat distorted (They wouldn't "surround" me anymore)?

*Wouldn't it be cheaper and more practical to buy a 6.1 system? They make 6.1 DVD's (granted, very few) already..and they still don't have enough space on a disc to max-out the bit rate of 5.1 DTS, so I doubt that they're very busy engineering the 7.1 DTS option anyway.

Just my two cents.