5.1 switchbox? DVD-A + SACD = 5.1 Switchbox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Westly T, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

With only one 5.1 input on most receivers, are there remote control 5.1 A-B switches? I currently have DVD-A on one system and SACD on the other, but if I get a good collection of SACD's, I'll want a SACD player on my main system. A remote one would be nice since the equipment is in a closet and controlled by a pronto with macros to simplify use of the system.

2. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I don't know about a remote switcher but I do know that Radio Shack carries switcher boxes. But that just means more money, more cables, more opportunity for audio interference and just more hassles. I for one am waiting for a more affordable combo player, then you wont need all that extra stuff. Taking up more space. See the thread in regards to the Pioneer combo player.

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

By the way, the thread is the DV-47A.

4. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

I think Shawn @ SMR (?) makes one with remote option. I don't know his username here but on AVS he's 'sfogg'. Try to PM him & ask.

PF

5. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I made my own unit much like the one http://home.attbi.com/~shawnfogg
    Mine was very close to this, except I don't use a switch, and because I was on a budget I connected the two sets of input cables directly to the box without the RCA plugs. Doing this allowed me to use three sets of RCA cables cut in half in place of 6 sets and three times as many RCA jacks. This saved me allot as the RCA cables are very expensive while if anything it would improve sound quality, but it added allot of time to the project.
    Another option:
    The Sony TA-P9000ES 5.1 Preamplifier:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click here for a closeup of the face.
    Sources for this unit include Oade Brothers and Crutchfield.

6. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Sony has the TA-P9000es you can get from oade.com for $475 delivered. It is made more for seperates but I think you could still use it with a receiver that has 1 5.1 input.

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

After spending the $250 on the Outlaw ICBM, I found it to be a mandatory piece of gear in the DVD-A/SACD mix.

I submit that they realize this as well and I also submit that they dropped the ball with not allowing for a set of inputs for the two.

Great product. Lame decision.

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

John,

I agree with you completely on that synopsis... It's thisclose to being the perfect solution.....

Regards,

9. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

10. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

11. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

John, I totally agree, I don't exactly "NEED" an outlaw for my set up, but I do "need" a switch, so if it came out with a 5.1 switch I would have bought one. Now I don't have one and don't plan on it either (unless they do a switch version).

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

If Outlaw comes out with an ICBM that switches between sources, I'll buy one if the price is reasonable.
    I wonder if anyone from Outlaw peruses this site. Hello! Business opportunity! [​IMG]

13. Charles Gurganus

I think the SACD players need to improve there BM capabilities before we make all the cable companies rich! The players need a triple adjustable crossover allowing for selections from 40hz up in 10hz steps (say up to 120hz) for 3 groups of speakers (front main, center and rears). I will not buy one until they do this. There just isn't the software to justify an ICBM plus the cost of the players IMO. I have the Sony P9000es that has given my system the 5.1 bypass feature the E9000es was missing, but I will just use it for 2 channel until the players are versitle enough to handle the BM.

14. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

15. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

16. Charles Gurganus

Jaleek, I know the ICBM gives you that flexibility. I am just saying, for me, there isn't enough software to justify an even more convuluted setup than I already have. I am hoping in a year or so, that there will be a player with good flexible BM and a enough software to justify the multi channel music. My HT processor has great BM capability. I don't want to add a outboard BM box at this point just for a few SACD discs.
    At this point, I am happy with 2 channel and most of the so called SACD releases are just redone versions of my vinyl collection. [​IMG]

17. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

I think it is all the manufacturers' fault. First they decided not to allow digital out from these DVD-A or SACD players. Then they completely fail to address the issue of BM on the players. There must be a way to force the manufacturers to address this issue rather than paying more money on equipments to 'fix' this.

18. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

19. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

What's everyone mean by poor bass management and the need for a outboard manager like the ICBM, It's more like no bass management and totally un-useable. I have the Sony DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD player hooked up to a TA-P9000ES and TA-E9000ES preamps and in my opinion, there is no way to enjoy SACD at all with the onboard bass management, you must (evidently) have some outboard management or it just won't work right at all. Right now I have to turn up the Sub output all the way and the main's all the way down on the SACD player's menu, then I still have to turn the bass control on the TA-P9k all the way up on 2-ch SACD and half way up on Multi-channel just to get any kind of balance at all. Boy did they mess up on that one, I can't believe I bought into this SACD SCAM. BTW for those of you who have the TA-P9k Analog preamp combo, try putting in a 2-ch Hybrid SACD disc in and switching the By-Pass and Input 1 back and forth and see if you can tell a audible difference between the PCM layer's sound verses the SACD layers sound, I couldn’t.

20. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Here's another option, the Sony TA-P9000ES 5.1 Preamplifier:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click here for a closeup of the face.
    Sources for this unit include Oade Brothers and Crutchfield.