What's new

5.1 surround speakers (1 Viewer)

joe_pre

Agent
I need some suggestions for 5.1 surround sound speakers. I am planning on buying a new TV fairly soon (Sony KDS-R60XBR1), probably a PS3 when they come out, a Blu-Ray Player eventually, and a new receiver. I currently have a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer that I want to keep in this system. I like the sound and quality of it a lot. So basically I need the 2 front, 2 rear, and center speaker. Something to compliment all my components. Any suggestions. Quality is more important than looks. Not sure which receiver I will be getting, but I won't be a real cheap one, so having good speakers won't be wasted. Looking to stay $600 or under. Any suggestions or info on other things to pursue is appreciated. Love this site! Thanks.

Joe

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is the $600 just for speakers or for speakers and receiver?

If that's just for the speakers, you should consider the SVS speaker package. I've really enjoyed mine.

SamNavy

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, you may not want to hear this, but you should ditch that Sony sub. There's a reason you can buy them for $140... it's because they're not very good. A good sub (and by "good", I mean anything else) will do better than that Sony. Sony does make a decent line of HT electronics, but they're HT speakers are (sorry to say) mostly crap... I've been where you are... trust me, you "think" it sounds good, but more than likely, you've never heard anything even moderately good to compare it against.
Others may chime in here, but I don't think anybody will tell you it's good advice to spend $600 on 5 speakers and match them with a $140 Sony sub.
My advice, put the sub up for sale in your local "trader" magazine or similar. Ask $100, then take the first guy that offers you $50... then spend $650 on a matched 5.1 system... but if you're really only looking for 5 speakers to match with a crappy sub, the SVS package here is a good choice... plain black classic bookshelves/center will match any decor. http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

However, almost every speaker company out there has a set of speakers like those... You can put together a fine 5 speaker system in just about any style imagineable for $600:
OneCall here: http://www.onecall.com/ProductSearch...-110&menu=true is a great place to search and do homework for most of the popular mass produced lines like Boston, Klipsch, Infinity, NHT, Polk, and others... here are some other brands and places to look:
Ascend http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html
Athena
JBL http://www.htmarket.com/audio-video-...-speakers.html
Fluance http://www.fluance.com/centerspeakers.html
MTX http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....TXspeak&wt.sv2

Also, since you're on a "budget", go to the search function both here and at some of the other popular forums, and do an advanced title search for the word "budget." There are many people out there who've asked the same question you did.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Yep. Start from scratch on all speakers. The new SVS speaker system is nice but around 1K

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Keep the Sony sub for the moment and just add the SBS-01 5.0 package. Then upgrade to a better sub when budget permits; you won't be sorry.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

With his intent to keep his sub, the 5.0 system is right at $600.

I would certainly recommend getting a better subwoofer, but with his current budget he's not going to do too much better. I would go with speakers for now and add a better sub later (SVS, Hsu, Velodyne, etc)

joe_pre

Agent
Thanks to all for the replies. It seems a pretty good census that the Sony Sub is not worth keeping. In that case, I will probably sell it off. $600 isn't set in stone, just a number I through out there. I did do some searching on the Internet, obviously finding speakers everywhere, but I want to make sure I don't buy something junky, less quality, and something I'll regret down the road. Since I'm spending a good chunk of change on the TV and other components, I don't want to ruin it with bad speakers. What about Bose? Is any of there stuff worth looking at or is the stuff below better/same quality? Forgive me on this as I'm not very knowledgable (wanting to keep the Sony sub is a good example of that). I appreciate the help a lot!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Bose is not really respected at all around this/these forums.

If you can stretch to $1000 for speakers and a sub then the SVS package would be great. If that's too steep, then you might consider some Athenas along with either the Dayton sub from PartsExpress or the Acoustech H100.

joe_pre

Agent
I have taken a look at the SBS-01 5.1 package and it looks like it is a very high quality product. I plan on getting it. I noticed the 5.1 package is 1k, but right now you can get the 5.0 package for $600 and the PB10-ISD is clearancing out at $379. Might be cheaper to go with the latter. Any reason why they would be on clearance?

Also does anyone suggestion getting the speaker stands for the front L and R. I would wall mount the rear L and R. Buy the stands and mounts from them? Thanks for the help!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That is very interesting. Either order them separately or call SVS to order the package at the lower price. If you research a little, you'll find that their customer service is generally very, very good.

Turns out they're on clearance to make room for the new PB10-NSD. However, SVS claims that there will be no performance improvement. The change, they claim, is a perfectly lateral move with the reason behind it being that they are designing and building their own drivers now.

Assuming all this is true -- that the new sub will be a lateral move -- then the clearance deal is a really great deal and you should jump on it before they run out.

joe_pre

Agent
So has anyone used the speaker stands or wall mounts? Any opinion on buying them from SVS. I am thinking of getting a pair of stands and a pair of wall mounts. Also, where is a good location to put the center speaker, especially given the TV I am purchasing (see first message). Thanks!

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
You can get different mounts for centers and my surrounds are on stands. Make sure you measure to get the right size stands so the speaker tweeter is at ear level for the main L&R.

joe_pre

Agent
Two last questions before I make my purchase. I'll have that SXRD TV on a stand. The stand will obviously have my electronic equipment on it. Where should/can I put the center speaker? Also what is the proper mounting for the two rear speakers? Thanks again for all the help and guidance!

Joe

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

I have all my stuff in an entertainment center and the center is on top to the edge with rubber door stops under the back to aim it at me.

randell

Auditioning
Real Name
Randell Lamar Ogle
God please don't ruin that beautiful TV by putting that shelf on top of it and putting a center speaker on top of that. Inside the back of the case, where the legs of the shelf are is a mirror and you will bend it and distort the picture. The sony warranty will not cover it if you do this. For some great speakers, if you are only doing ht (movies, dvd's) get you someBIC Acoustech Cinema Series package. You can get the entire 5.1 setup for under a grand. The sub is developed, in part, by Dr. Hsu. I have this setup and I can't imagine going to anything else. I LOVE IT!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks