5.1 surround sound

aususer1

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
Hello forum,

I am in Australia and trying to find out if my 5.1 surround sound and HDMI TV will work together. What i have is a 5.1 home theatre system - Sony str-k740p and my TV is a - Fujitsu 42 inch plasmavision - P42VHA51WS. Would there be any way to get surround sound with both of those devices ? Any help would be appreciated from anyone.

Derek.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
5.1 would require the TV to have either an optical or coaxial output that you could plug into the Sony. The TV does not appear to have either one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

aususer1

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
Ah ok, and Thank you for the reply. What about a Soundbar, would that be a better option, or work with that TV ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
That will also require an output from the TV, either HDMI or the coax / optical mentioned above. If the linked manual is correct, this TV has no outputs of any kind that can feed an outboard audio system, which is pretty unusual.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The only way I could see your 5.1 working with that monitor is by directly plugging in an external device into the Digital In via RCA cable. Otherwise that thing is a dinosaur and should be burried in the Montana desert.

EDIT: according to the spec sheet, the Fujitsu only supports 2.0 output.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The TV does have one HDMI connection, maybe i have the wrong manual.
That kind of basic (non-ARC) hdmi is input only. You need an audio output, but the onl.y one it appears to have is a proprietary one I've never seen before. As others have said, I don't think you can get there from here. Not with that TV.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
The TV and HTIB system are both perfectly functional. The problem is that they just won’t work together.

The TV has an HDMI input, so it could be used as the display for a standard AVR. The Sony has a digital input, so it could work as the audio system for a TV with a digital output. But neither one has the appropriate connections to work with the other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Norman

Premium
What are you running as a Source? Bluray, Cable/Sat box, etc or how is everything hooked up now?

ASSUMING something like a Bluray player -- you need some way to run the HDMI video to the TV and Digital Audio to the receiver

Does anyone have an opinion in something like this would work

HDMI from the BD (or Cable/Sat Box) to the Converter then HDMI Out to the TV and Opt or Coax Digital to the receiver?

The problem definitely comes if you have multiple sources you want to use though I guess if you only have 2 sources, you could use 2 converters to theoretically use both the Opt and Coax Inputs.

If you have 3 or 4 source devices then you are looking at Frankensteining an HDMI switcher running to the Converter ...........

Might be easier in the end to get a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs and an output to the TV

aususer1

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
David, I have a DVD Player with a component and HDMI connection, and i have Fetch TV which has a HDMI connection, and also a Smart Media Player which has a HDMI connection . At the moment I have my DVD Player setup through my 5.1 home theatre system via the component cables.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan