5.1 surround sound

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ArthurFlew, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ArthurFlew

ArthurFlew Extra

I just recently purchased Infinity's beta line of speakers, the beta50s for front channels, and beta10s, for surround channels, and the infinity b12 for a sub.

I have them all hooked up to my roommate's avr230 HK receiver (which will hold up until I buy my own receiver).

Anyway, I finished hooking them up yesterday and everything worked fine. It was great.

Today, I was watching the dodger game, and i decided to have the sound go through my speakers. Now, if I am to understand correctly, if i set it to Dolby Pro Logic, shouldn't that send audio to all the speakers? I know it's not 5.1 surround, but doesn't it just replicate the audio from the front two channels to the rear two?

Anyway, I can't get sound to come out of them when watching just tv, do i have a setting wrong on the receiver, or did I hook up the speakers improperly?
    I have them hooked onto the surround spots on the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ArthurFlew

ArthurFlew Extra

I just recently purchased Infinity's beta line of speakers, the beta50s for front channels, and beta10s, for surround channels, and the infinity b12 for a sub.

I have them all hooked up to my roommate's avr230 HK receiver (which will hold up until I buy my own receiver).

Anyway, I finished hooking them up yesterday and everything worked fine. It was great.

Today, I was watching the dodger game, and i decided to have the sound go through my speakers. Now, if I am to understand correctly, if i set it to Dolby Pro Logic, shouldn't that send audio to all the speakers? I know it's not 5.1 surround, but doesn't it just replicate the audio from the front two channels to the rear two?

Anyway, I can't get sound to come out of them when watching just tv, do i have a setting wrong on the receiver, or did I hook up the speakers improperly?
    I have them hooked onto the surround spots on the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

No. That's 5 channel stereo. Prologic/Prologic II simulate surround sound based on an algorithm that accepts the 2 channel info and outputs it in 5.1. Quite effective. DTS Neo:6 does the exact same thing, albeit with a different algorithm, as does Logic 7 and the numerous other DSP programs that receiver has.

Can you get sound watching something other than TV?

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

No. That's 5 channel stereo. Prologic/Prologic II simulate surround sound based on an algorithm that accepts the 2 channel info and outputs it in 5.1. Quite effective. DTS Neo:6 does the exact same thing, albeit with a different algorithm, as does Logic 7 and the numerous other DSP programs that receiver has.

Can you get sound watching something other than TV?