What's new

5.1 surround sound...from a single speaker! (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
OK. That's the UGLIEST speaker I have ever seen.

Have you ever seen this? I have been bugging my dealer to get one to demo. Only $650 MSRP.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
A recent home theater magazine had a review of the Niro speaker. Can't remember which mag but I read the review in Barnes and Noble. I think they were impressed by it but it still wasn't entirely convincing in the rear channel sound. I think they said it was, so far, one of the best at attempting the "5.1 from one cabinet" type of deal.

brad cook

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you visit the Nirotech website. I have heard this system and for HT it has remarkable presence and clarity. Surround sound while not the same as having a hardwired speaker is surprisingly entertaining. The sub (for its size) is most impressive with an excellent blend with the speaker array. The web site offers a free trial offer.

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
M&K (Miller & Kreisel) has a similar offering:

http://www.mksound.com/mp4512.htm

Have not listened to it, but it's a novel concept that may be appropriate in a dorm, bed room, or conference room.

The soundtrack's of many movies have been mixed on M&K's speakers.

JamesCB

Second Unit

What? My link didn't work? I just posted the same thing above.

James

Just another example of posting without reading the previous posts.

I once saw in best buy a two speaker system that was 5.1 - I forget the total science of how it worked, but the angle of the drivers, or direction of the soundwaves. etc.. something like that made it feel that it was true 5.1 with sound from the rear. It was "fairly" accurate, but I'll stick to actually having speakers in the rear that I can hear and see :)

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

For the M&K one, yes. 6 pair to be exact. The niro one does not need a receiver you just hook your digital out from the DVD player.

JamesCB

Second Unit

Why 6? It is only for 5.1 (note: Technicaly 5.0, a sub is needed/reccomended for 5.1)

This weekend I'm going to ask my dealer about getting this for audition.

James

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
Please folks don't try this at home or in your dorm room unless you don't care about real 5.1 sound.
;)

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard it yet, but I think the all in one speaker could be a good compromise for a bedroom or for someone who is not or will not appreciate the performance of a 5.1 system with speakers for each channel. For those of us that are really into home theater I would never consider an all-in-one speaker for one's primary theater.

We need someone to go out and listen to it.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Pardon me for being skeptical, but I have heard too many systems claim a "5.1" experience from two speakers and have never been fooled. They sound way to artificial.

I hope I was not the only one to see what Shane was getting at, and I think he hit the nail right on the head.

JamesCB

Second Unit
I did ask my dealer this weekend to order one for audition. I hold high hopes for overall sound quality from this product. M&K seems to know sound quality. Creating a beleivable surround experience from a single enclosure is, at best, a compromise. Each company that tries it has their method. It's an interesting niche to fill, where space is severely limited. I'll keep you posted if I get to hear the M&K.

James

JamesCB

Second Unit
What binding posts? Sorry, I'm not seeing the same thing. None the less, it has 5 inputs (5.0).
James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks