What's new

5.1 surround or 6.1? (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Here’s another deep divide I find with dealers. Some like the sound of six channels (one rear) in home theater, but others don’t. One called it unnatural for sound to come from behind your head. Unfortunately, none of the four dealers I went to had 6-channel systems set up for demo, so I am still stuck with virgin ears. Still, this is important, because where I come down on this will determine whether I put my cash into a 5.1 receiver or a 6.1 receiver. I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus here. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to hear a comparison between the two systems soon.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I went from 5.1 to 7.1 then back to 6.1. For my rear 2 surrounds I had Def-tech bibolars which are great for the sides but I did'nt like the way they sounded behind me. I sold this pair and went to a single direct rad. for behind. This sounds great especially in DTS-ES discrete (Blade 2,Gladiator,Rush Hour 2) I highly recommend listening to different setups before running wires or making a purchase.Everybodys tastes seem to really differ in this area so a demo is critical. Hope this helps.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
Ask yourself this qustion, "If I were standing in the world somewhere, and a car honked a horn behind me..would it sound unnatural?"

I have a 7.1 setup and would not have it any other way. My goal in HT is to make the movie seem as realistic as possible and since humans hear in a 360 degree soundfield, I need sound that originates behind me in a movie to sound like it is coming from behind me. The best way to do this is with a rear center speaker or 2. If your goal is not realism then your answer may be different.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Which is a good reason to avoid dipoles. A car horn
is a high frequency, discrete and very localizable
sound best served by using a direct radiator.
The sound field humans hear in is somewhat circular,
not quite but having speakers where the actual sound
should appear to be is always a good idea.
I keep wondering when ceiling and floor channels
will arrive!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you have the space and the denaro, I would say *try* 6.1. (You wouldn't want your sofa up against the back wall, for example.) Most $500-ish receivers have 6 channels of power now. (You didn't say what your price point is.) If you don't like, no biggie, dump the rear speaker and stick with 5.1.
There are beaucoup threads around HTF that explore this. I think you will find, that most people who have tried 6.1/7.1 vs 5.1, stick with the added speaker(s).
I will succinctly say, that when I went from 5.1 to 6.1, that it filled in a gap in the rear sound field that I didn't even know was there until it's not... :)

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I tried 5.1 and 6.1 with my Yamaha RX-V1300. There is a definite difference. I'm sure all setups won't be the same though. I'm guessing the distance and speaker type would be a major influence to this question. I like my 6.1 Axioms with the usual 6.1 reference movies.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus here.
Never happen!! But thats a good thing! As you can see from the previous replys to your question there are mixed feelings on this subject. I really think the best way to decide if 6.1 or 7.1 is right for you is to audition both systems. If your current dealer does not or will not set up the gear you want to checkout then it is time to find another dealer!! You can tell from my HT site that I'm a 7.1 kinda guy, and I would not have it any other way, BUT that does not mean that I think everyone should have a 7.1 channel setup. You really need to hear it for yourself to decide if it is pleasing to you ears, or if you would be just as happy with a 5.1 channel system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks