5.1 surround or 6.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff.bart, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

Here’s another deep divide I find with dealers. Some like the sound of six channels (one rear) in home theater, but others don’t. One called it unnatural for sound to come from behind your head. Unfortunately, none of the four dealers I went to had 6-channel systems set up for demo, so I am still stuck with virgin ears. Still, this is important, because where I come down on this will determine whether I put my cash into a 5.1 receiver or a 6.1 receiver. I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus here. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to hear a comparison between the two systems soon.

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I went from 5.1 to 7.1 then back to 6.1. For my rear 2 surrounds I had Def-tech bibolars which are great for the sides but I did'nt like the way they sounded behind me. I sold this pair and went to a single direct rad. for behind. This sounds great especially in DTS-ES discrete (Blade 2,Gladiator,Rush Hour 2) I highly recommend listening to different setups before running wires or making a purchase.Everybodys tastes seem to really differ in this area so a demo is critical. Hope this helps.

3. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Ask yourself this qustion, "If I were standing in the world somewhere, and a car honked a horn behind me..would it sound unnatural?"

I have a 7.1 setup and would not have it any other way. My goal in HT is to make the movie seem as realistic as possible and since humans hear in a 360 degree soundfield, I need sound that originates behind me in a movie to sound like it is coming from behind me. The best way to do this is with a rear center speaker or 2. If your goal is not realism then your answer may be different.

4. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Which is a good reason to avoid dipoles. A car horn
    is a high frequency, discrete and very localizable
    sound best served by using a direct radiator.
    The sound field humans hear in is somewhat circular,
    not quite but having speakers where the actual sound
    should appear to be is always a good idea.
    I keep wondering when ceiling and floor channels
    will arrive!

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you have the space and the denaro, I would say *try* 6.1. (You wouldn't want your sofa up against the back wall, for example.) Most $500-ish receivers have 6 channels of power now. (You didn't say what your price point is.) If you don't like, no biggie, dump the rear speaker and stick with 5.1.
    There are beaucoup threads around HTF that explore this. I think you will find, that most people who have tried 6.1/7.1 vs 5.1, stick with the added speaker(s).
    I will succinctly say, that when I went from 5.1 to 6.1, that it filled in a gap in the rear sound field that I didn't even know was there until it's not... [​IMG]

6. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I tried 5.1 and 6.1 with my Yamaha RX-V1300. There is a definite difference. I'm sure all setups won't be the same though. I'm guessing the distance and speaker type would be a major influence to this question. I like my 6.1 Axioms with the usual 6.1 reference movies.

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor