5.1 Speaker Suggestion...Budget!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Doh, May 2, 2004.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

A buddy of mine requires a 5.1 speaker setup for his family room. He doesn't need anything extravagant, just something that sounds decent. He opted out of buying a HTIB system because of the lack of flexibility from the receiver component, so a separate speaker system is needed. The only stiplulations he has are that they are silver speakers (at least the satelittes), and they are small enough to tuck away in the corners of the wall and ceiling. Once again, he doesn't need Klipsch quality speakers, but just someting to give him a decent surround effect. The sub has to have a built-in amp also. Oh yea, and the budget for this system is no more than $300. Thanks!

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you look up the Klipsch Quintets on Ebay you might find 5 for well under $300 (they're about $300 from the store). I think you can get them in white or silver, but I'm not 100% sure. Then pick up the Dayton sub and you've got a pretty decent little system.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  5. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

second Nickso's idea...

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

third

7. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

"The only stiplulations he has are that they are silver speakers (at least the satelittes), and they are small enough to tuck away in the corners of the wall and ceiling."

Guys, thanks for the replies on the Fluance set, but it does not meet the criteria I asked for, at all. Small, silver speakers with a powered sub (sub does not have to be silver). I'll look into the Dayton sub though....

8. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

look into the rockets tyke speakers - they are silver and not made of plastic, but of aluminum. they sound quite good too from what i hear. $399 with sub.

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=20

or, u can go with the hsu vt-12 and a stf-1 sub. also in silver. 299+299-100 = 498

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

edit:
    i see u have set a budget of $300... hmm... well, only thing i can tell u is that u should go to your local bestbuy or circuit city and test the magnavox, philips, yamaha, sony, or samsung htibs... get the one that best suits him in sound and looks.

oh, i think best buy is having a sale on the sony dream system.. only $399 including the dvd player/receiver - looks cool and u cant beat that price.

sorry it is still over 300 - im not getting anything to work with here.