5.1 speaker setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeff Paine, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Jeff Paine

Jeff Paine Auditioning

Hello,

My dad got a surround sound system a while ago. Anyways, when he set it up, he put the L and R speakers in the middle of the room and the SL and SR speakers in the back of the room.

So it's set up like this:

Code:
     [center]
     [sub]

[left] [right]

*couch*

[surrL] [surrR]

This hasn't really bothered me until I was playing Condemned for the Xbox 360, and it sounded like my footsteps were coming from behind me (so I thought there was an enemy behind me) Anyways, I told him, and instead of moving the speakers, he bought two new speakers to put in the front of the room, and he's going to split the SL and SR channels, so they come from both the middle and back speakers.

So it will be like this:

Code:
     [left] [center] [right]
     [sub]

[surrL] [surrR]
     ^ (same channel) ^
     | *couch* |
     v (same channel) v
     [surrL] [surrR]

My question is, is this a good idea, or would it be better to just move the speakers into the right spots?

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I use two sets of surrounds mainly because I have them. With two rows of seating, there is one set for each row of seats. Being as you already have the speakers, try it out.
    Dave

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Sure, give it a try. You could also try to talk him into getting a 7.1 receiver.

4. Jeff Paine

Jeff Paine Auditioning

Yeah, I'm watching a couple of eBay auctions right now for cheap 7.1 receivers, because he doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new reciever.