What's new

5.1 Speaker setup for around 2K (Dali Suite?) (1 Viewer)

ErikJO

Agent
I have been shopping around for a 5.1 speaker setup that is in the price range of 2k - 2.5k. So far what I have found is the Dali Suite (2.8, C0.8, R0.8). I am going to try and check out the Paradigm Studio 60 V.3 next to see how it sounds compared to the Dali Suite line.

Has anyone heard both of these systems and are there any other 5.1 systems that I should check out in this price range. Would be nice to find a full setup on Audiogon that MSRP's for around 3.5k and get it at a discount.

I am also considering the Monitor Audio GR10 for fronts, Gold center, and the silver fxi for the rear. Not sure if the GR10's will have enough lower end for the fronts and not sure if the rear silver fxi will match this setup. I do know that I really liked the GR center and thought it sounded almost perfect. Going to demo the GR10's tomorrow. Does anyone know why the prices on the GR10 and went up so much? They used to list for $1500 ish and now are around $1900? Are they still the same quality as the original line of GR10's?

I am using a B&K 305 and a Velodyne SPL1000 (soon to be a Sunfire) for the sub. This system is used about 50% music 50% movie. Looking to stick with floor standers for the front.

Thanks much...

Scott_N

Second Unit
Having owned Paradigm's and auditioned a number of Dali speakers I would say you will find the Paradigm's to be more forward than the Dali's. JMLab also makes quality speakers in this price range. Good luck with whatever you buy.

ErikJO

Agent
I am looking for a very nutral speaker and like the way the Dali sounds so thus far it is the leader. I am going to audition the Monitor Audio GR10 and matching center today. The center is the best center that I have heard for under $1000. The Dali center comes in a close second for almost half the price though.

If I could find a Monitor Audio Silver 12i center I would go with the all silver line but finding a 12i is pretty hard these days.

ErikJO

Agent
Trying to stay within a budget but wish I could get into the Helicon stuff. I head the Helicon 800 the other day and must say that it is one of the best speakers that I have EVER heard if not the best. The finish work on this speaker is amazing.

I am pretty much thinking its between the Monitor Gold line and the Dali Suite at about $800 less than the Gold.

On my way to audition the Golds...

Cheers

Erik,

Have you auditioned Dynaudio yet? If want you neutral you can't get more neutral than Dynaudio IMO. You should check out the Dynaudio 52 SE's. Very sweet sounding speakers.

IF you are anywhere near the Seattle area they have one in Bellevue. I found it on the website dynaudiousa.com

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to look at the Cobalt line from JM Lab I have not heard them but I own a set of their Electra 906 speakers which are amazing. If you can stretch your budget out over time and go with the Electra 906 or 907be now and get the rest of the speakers later you would have an amazing system.

Try the B&W 7 line of speakers also.

ErikJO

Agent
I have also added the Rocket RS550 to my short list. Anyone here know how these compare to the Dali 2.8 Suite?

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
If you find yourself in the Vancouver area you may want to pop by a Visions Electronics and check out Dahlquist. When you factor in currency conversion, then you could certainly get a very decent 5.0 if not 5.1 setup in that range. QX6A / QX7A / QX8A are all great fronts depending on budget (I went with the QX8A); the QX60CA is a great center with the same drivers; and the QX6A / QX5A / QX4A for rears (I went with the QX6A). I doubt you'd be disappointed, and the in-store listening doesn't even do them justice, they sound far better at home.

Cheers,
Scott.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Erik,

Check out the studio 40's also. With a high end speaker stand, they're virtually the same price as the 60's, and the sound is different between the two. Both are superb... some prefer the 40's other the 60's, so that's why I say different and not superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks