What's new

5.1 speaker placement - DD vs. SACD & DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm moving into a new dedicated theater room shortly (yet to be constructed) & I'm wrestling with a speaker placement that is the closest to ideal for all of these formats, but it seems that I need to compromise one or the other.

There's also the issue of back surround channels for DD-EX etc., I will have the capability but I'm not planning on using it as I'd rather save the money on those speakers to upgrade my current speakers. I feel that non-discrete channels are not where I want to spend my money at this time, and the fact that multi-channel audio is 5.1 also reinforces my opinion that 5.1 is best for me right now. (if someone wants to argue that I must-have 2 more matrixed rear channels, then go ahead...I'll listen :))

So there's the issue of speaker placement for DD movies vs. SACD & DVD-A. According to The Dolby Guide to Home Theater Sound, one option is to place the surround speakers closer to ear level:
http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh...0110.html#s3.4
They also show the surrounds pointed toward the listening position, equidistant & on a "circle" with the front speakers. I was thinking that I could simply use a swivel mount on the wall for the surrounds to angle them in for DVD-A & SACD & point them straight at each other for DD. Is this really a compromise for DD? What about the recommended 30° angle for the front left & front right speakers with DVD-A & SACD? Is this a compromise for DD and/or 2-channel audio? Is the recommended 110° angle between the listening position & surrounds appropriate for DVD-A & SACD and DD?

Is there a happy medium somewhere? I'd especially appreciate the opinions of someone who is currently using both SACD/DVD-A/DD in the same setup. (I do not currently have multi-channel audio & have not had the opportunity to experiment) If I have to compromise somewhere, I'd rather it be with DD than 2 channel audio or 5.1 audio. Any help is appreciated, as I want to run the wires in-wall to the closest location possible before the drywall is up. (not for a month or so yet)

What if I do decide I want to add the back surround channels (DD-EX/DTS-ES etc.) to the back wall in the future? From what I've read, it's then preferable to move the side surrounds a bit forward, thereby messing up the position of DVD-A & SACD! It's a bit of a dilemma.

For reference, the room will be 13 feet wide by 17 or 19 feet deep. The seating position will be in the center of the room, and this is intended as a 1-person theater, so I am not worried about catering the sweet spot to other seating positions.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Dan B.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Well I'm talking to myself here, but I think what I've decided to do is not run the speaker wire in-wall & mount the side speakers on the wall, but run the wire under the carpet or behind the baseboard and mount them on some tall stands. That way, I will have the greatest flexibility to tweak the position of the surrounds now & in the future.

That's assuming I can find a four foot high speaker stand that swivels & can support a 23 pound speaker. :)

BrianAe

Second Unit
Dan, I agree with your plan :)

I was even lasier (or more flexible) and ran my wire along the top of the base board and will eventually use some molding compound to cover it up when I am 100% satisfied with positioning and have enough time to do the work.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would set the speakers for music listening(wider Fronts) since it will be more forgiving for movies than the other way around. Rear set-up is usually tough in most rooms, so giving yourself some flexibility is a good way to go, but you do have a huge advantage in that the listening position will be in the center of the room.

It sounds like fun. I wish I had a new room to tweak. :)

DJ

Dan B

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. David, yeah I always start by getting my front speakers set up for 2 channel music, then going from there. Of course, it seems like I'm always moving those speakers an inch here or there to get it "just right".

Now, if only I could find the right DVD-A or SACD player, I'd be all set. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks