5.1 speaker hook up on 7.1 h/k avr330 ??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Steve Chomicz, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Steve Chomicz

Steve Chomicz Auditioning

Mar 17, 2004
    The avr330 is a 7.1 receiver. The speaker layout does not show a 5.1 set up. They assume you are doing a 7.1. I am doing a 5.1 right now and in a few weeks will add a rear center speaker for a 6.1

Exluding the fronts there are four surround back speakers shown in the 330 manual:

Surround Left (shown on rear left wall)
    Surround Right (shown on rear right wall)
    Surround Back Left (shown behind listener on left back wall)
    Surroung Back Right (shown behind listener on right back wall)

which outputs on the receiver do i use for my two back speakers? The Surround L/R or the Surround BACK L/R?

When my extra 6.1 speaker comes in next week where do I connect it?

2. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm not too familiar with H/K receivers but I believe, most of the time, surround back refers to the rear channels for a 6.1 or 7.1 set-up. So for a 5.1 set-up, you would use the surround left and right terminals.

As for 6.1 on a 7.1 receiver, you'll probably have to "tell" the receiver that you're using just one surround back channel and then connect the 6th speaker to either the surround back left or surround back right terminal. Your manual should tell you which. On my Denon, for example, I would have to use the the surround back left terminal for a 6.1 set-up.

Hope this helps.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    Use surround L/R, as SBL/SBR are for the rear two for a 7.1 setup. MAke sure you tell your receiver that which speakers you have hooked up, but setting SL/SR to yes, and SBL/SBR to no.