What's new

5.1 speaker hook up on 7.1 h/k avr330 ?? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Steve
Hi,

The avr330 is a 7.1 receiver. The speaker layout does not show a 5.1 set up. They assume you are doing a 7.1. I am doing a 5.1 right now and in a few weeks will add a rear center speaker for a 6.1

Exluding the fronts there are four surround back speakers shown in the 330 manual:

Surround Left (shown on rear left wall)
Surround Right (shown on rear right wall)
Surround Back Left (shown behind listener on left back wall)
Surroung Back Right (shown behind listener on right back wall)

which outputs on the receiver do i use for my two back speakers? The Surround L/R or the Surround BACK L/R?

When my extra 6.1 speaker comes in next week where do I connect it?

Thanks.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I'm not too familiar with H/K receivers but I believe, most of the time, surround back refers to the rear channels for a 6.1 or 7.1 set-up. So for a 5.1 set-up, you would use the surround left and right terminals.

As for 6.1 on a 7.1 receiver, you'll probably have to "tell" the receiver that you're using just one surround back channel and then connect the 6th speaker to either the surround back left or surround back right terminal. Your manual should tell you which. On my Denon, for example, I would have to use the the surround back left terminal for a 6.1 set-up.

Hope this helps.

Darren

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Use surround L/R, as SBL/SBR are for the rear two for a 7.1 setup. MAke sure you tell your receiver that which speakers you have hooked up, but setting SL/SR to yes, and SBL/SBR to no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks