What's new

5.1 speaker advice for odd shaped room (1 Viewer)

robd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob D.
I need advice on speakers for 5.1 speakers in a less than ideal shaped room. The display will be a 42” to 55” LCD or Plasma hung above a fireplace. There will be built-in cabinets on each side so I can go with bookshelf speakers for my mains. I’m up for any suggestions on the center channel, it will have to be something with minimal depth since I don’t want it to protrude any further out than the display (note, the room is just framed at this point so I have the option of framing in some kind of inset in the drywall for the display and/or center channel.

The side channels will be a problem. The layout will not allow them to actually be on the sides of the room but rather up and behind in the vaulted ceiling. The vault starts above and behind the listening area, rises up to the center of the room, then descends to the fireplace area above the display. I will also need to install an in-wall or in-ceiling sub somewhere, it can go in the same vaulted ceiling behind the listening area or up on the left hand wall about 10’ up or more.

To make things worse, the room is open to a breakfast area and kitchen. Needless to say, this will not be a tight room sound-wise so I don’t want to spend any extra money than needed. All I want is respectable 5.1 with a little base, nothing like dedicated theater level. That will come when I can afford to finish the basement  I guess I’m looking for an affordable option that gives me respectable sound in a room that wasn’t meant for sound.

My current hardware is:

pre- Rotel RSP-1066
multi. ch. amp - Rotel RB-985 MKII
misc- Samson S1000 amp, Crown K2 amp, (2) SVS 16-46’s (that cant be used as well as bunch of speakers that can’t be incorporated into the room because of wife factor).

Thanks for any advice!

Rob

robd1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob D.
What about Phoenix Gold ATI515 for Center and Surrounds? Yay or nay?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks