What's new

5.1 soundtrack error on One Night At McCool's? Can someone verify? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I picked One Night At McCool's up on Tuesday but didn't get around to watching it until tonight. About 2 minutes into the movie, I noticed something wierd... Front pans were going from the left main to the center to THE RIGHT SURROUND? In fact, the whole mix sounds like my right surround is cranked. I walk up to my right main and there's nothing but ambience coming out of it, while the music is playing in the LM, C and RS.
To confirm it, there's a scene where John Goodman walks out of a door... and the door closes to the right of the frame... but the sound of it slamming is in the right surround!
So I thought maybe my receiver (Onkyo TX-DS595) or DVD player (Panasonic RV-31) had just gotten mixed up somehow. I turned them all off, started the movie over, and the same wierd audio mix was still there. So I thought maybe my calibration had gotten thrown off and popped in Avia to check it... and everything was dead-on perfectly balanced at my reference level. Popped in a few other discs to make sure it wasn't happening with all of them, and was able to rule that out.
Can anyone else with this disc confirm this problem with the soundtrack? It happens through the entire movie (which I did manage to watch, but MAN was it annoying to have that right surround sounding like the right main should have!). It sounds like maybe they got the right main and right surround swapped in the mix.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jeremy,
While I didn't watch the WHOLE thing, I did play the begining and some key scenes. Everything is O.K. on my end.
Sound is fine and there is NO ambience noise in my right front channel.
It sounds great!
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on October 12, 2001 at 02:39 AM]

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Wierd... Could it be a hardware incompatibility? I mean, certainly it couldn't be just a single bad disc, right? It sure is obvious and annoying...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks