What's new

5.1 Soundbar vs 5.1 w/Receiver (1 Viewer)

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Hey everyone, I have always wanted a nice setup, but never bought an HT audio accessory until last month. Story: Best Buy was running a clearance on Harman Kardon SB-16. Unfortunately they only had an open box unit that ended up being returned for distortion issues. After watching a couple movies with it and then switching back to tv speakers, I had to have something to pinch hit temporarily, so I got a Vizio 2.1 setup.
It's not bad for the money (hence the decent reviews), but I'm trying to decide between jumping on the sale for the Vizio 5.1 if its still available http://store.vizio.com/home-theater.html?cat=54 or a traditional HTIB from Onkyo, Yamaha. The Vizio was going on Amazon (prime members) for $199. I do really appreciate the depth and dynamic of music, and currently listen to Pandora (via Roku) and watch movies. Another thing I would like to do eventually is setup my computer to play games via the TV and audio system. That brings up the necessity of multiple input types, like several HDMI ports.
I've also looked at piecing together something on a budget, which sounds fun, but it's hard not to easily triple the cost in a hurry. Anyone already go through this decision between something similar?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Soundbars are a great solution in some curcomstances but will not give the sound quality of a real 5.1 system. But avoid the htib's like Samsung, LG, Sony, etc that have built-in dvd players. If one part breaks you have to replace the whole thing including the speakers/subwoofer.

The Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo receiver/speaker packages are a better way to go.Also avoid the Onkyo 3500 as it doesn't come with a powered subwoofer but a passive one (gets it's power from the receiver). Ac4l.com sells factory refurbished products at reduced prices. They come with a one year warranty and extended warranties are reasonable. The Onkyo 5600 or Denon 1513BA would be good choices.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HTIB/Home-Audio/Packaged-Systems/1.html

Piecing together a system is even better but as you said, the cost can rise in a hurry.

thompsgr

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoff
You and I are in the same position, Ijack. I am researching a more expensive set-up, but also couldn't help noticing the Vizio 5.1 sound bar with wireless subwoofer. But from what I am understanding so far, while this would be perfect for stuff coming from the TV (including streaming content on Smart TVs), for any other HDMI inputs into the TV (blu-ray players, etc), the sound passed out would not be true 5.1 -- depending on the TV. Just which TVs this would not be a problem for is hard to figure out by looking at the descriptions of TVs on the web, but I'm guessing most of the lower-priced televisions (like the Panasonic ST60 plasma that I'm looking at) will only put out stereo from other inputs?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
But from what I am understanding so far, while this would be perfect for stuff coming from the TV ...
Not really. Yes, it may be 5 full channels, but it still has to simulate the surround by bouncing the sound off the rear wall, which is not even close to ideal.
... but I'm guessing most of the lower-priced televisions (like the Panasonic ST60 plasma that I'm looking at) will only put out stereo from other inputs?
Almost all TVs, including the expensive models, will only put out surround for their tuner. Maybe 1 in 5000 put out surround for all input signals.

There's no way around it, sound bars are a compromise. If you need one, or don't care about the sound, then great (I use one in my bedroom); but for quality sound you have to go with real speakers.

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I also read some reviews that said a good (usually large) center channel and receiver does a better job for sufficing than a cheaper HTIB as well. How the receiver gets data and somehow does well translating 5.1 data through only a center, I am unsure. I also found a set of bookshelf speakers that are supposed to be amazing at the price. They are an older pioneer model that are supposed to be well balanced. The Polk cs10 is supposed to be an awesome Center channel. There was also a 5.1 speaker set by Polk that is small and simple but supposed to be solid. I guess the question is whether or not I would be better off with a refurb (kinda makes me nervous) receiver and center + satellites or bookshelf units. I've heard that a couple larger bookshelf units may be able to put out bass similar to a smaller sub that comes with the soundbar setups...some of the subs are rated around 80 watts.

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Probably just the lack of care by some companies to "verify" the working condition of something that's been returned. The unit I bought from best buy had been plugged in and checked to verify it worked...and it did for me too, but like clockwork, it would function well for 40 minutes and then start distorting slowly until it had consistent static, even when the audio input was switched. Tried better optical cable and still the same result. I guess if you knew the company did adequate stress testing, it would be ok.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depending on what you paid for that SB16, You coulda just warranties it.3 year's ago I bought a floor sample AVR that was used as a pre-amp. One of its channels died. I bought it and shipped it off for service. If the store had had it fixed first, it could have sold for $700 more than I paid for it.

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Probably should have, but I didn't know how long it would take. The only other issue is that the particular model had no remote control ability

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I lost my original remote and have been using the Samsung remote app on my GS4 phone and all the controls work fine, but I did read that others had sketchy control with their tv remotes - constantly needing to adjust and needing to raise volume several clicks to notice anything...not very linear

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have a fine sound system in my library/music room with Quad (UK) amplifiers and SACD and DVD-Audio playback and didn't want to go down that road for my larger projection theatre room at the side of the house.
I instead bought a soundbar, and am thrilled at the result ... especially since probably two thirds of the movies I watch are only mono or stereo, with very little stuff needing the rear speakers .. the model I bought, a B & W soundbar, the Panorama, which costs about $2000 I think, With eight drivers for centre stage alone, the dialogue is unbelievably crisp and clear, just like the best cinema, and its sound-dispersion technology makes a really good job of stereo and even rear -- you can tune it for the type of wall surfaces you have, to maximise dispersion. Great realistic bass and of course, what really appealed to me was the one-box approach with every driver having its own inbuilt amp.
It really was the way to go for me.
Cheers

ljack

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Thanks Anthony. Just from checking out the nice harman kardon soundbar, I believe it could be a simple and effective solution with something high end like yours. What I am trying to figure out is, if I wanted to run my PC to the television, and roku, whatever else, can I still get effective 5.1 experience with less hookups, etc? And as far as my budget is concerned, would I be better off getting a nice center channel with receiver, and possibly satellites or bookshelf units, vs the 5.1 soundbar with smaller wireless subwoofer. Would the multiple drivers from a couple nicer bookshelf units give comparable bass to a lower power 6" sub? I also noticed most of the refurb units I saw were the older models. I'll entertain buying refurb if it's a big savings and it's a somewhat current model. Tech moves too fast to buy something a couple years behind, unless it's a steal. Thx for the input.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your TV is not meant to be your AV hub.The only thing that exits your TV(every TV) in 5.1 is content from its own tuner and any supported apps. Nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks