5.1 Sound not playing with certain DVDs'.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ray Wise, May 26, 2004.

1. Ray Wise

Ray Wise Auditioning

I'm having a perplexing problem with a new KISS DVD (KISS Symphony) that I am trying to play correctly through my Panasonic S-35 player and Panasonic SA-HE90 reciever.

This DVD has Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0 and DTS sound available. However, when playing, 5.1 sound automatically is selected on the reciever, but it sounds like a pure stereo signal with no bass effects. The sub is silent until I manually select Dolby 2.0, and then the full effects come in. My mate has no problems with his version of the same DVD on his system, (a high end Kenwood). Now, other music DVDs' like my ELO ZOOM concert play in full 5.1 straight away, no problems. I'm more than a little confused by this, mainly why I have to choose Dolby 2.0 on this sytem to hear the DVD properley, when it clearly is capable of 5.1.

Could it be a DVD player inconsistency or something.? (Everything sounds normal when playing the KISS DVD through my computer 5.1 setup to confuse things even more).

Any help to restore my sanity greatly appreciated.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Have you "told" your receiver that you have a sub in the 5.1 setup? Many receiver's have to be set up for speakers in every listening environment.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do other 5.1 discs play correctly on your system? Generally with this type of question, it is a setup problem, not a media problem.

Make sure your digital audio settings are correct in the player's setup menu - if it is set to PCM instead of bitstream, you will get stereo only. You MUST use a digital connection or the multichannel analog outputs to get 5.1 sound.

4. Ray Wise

Ray Wise Auditioning

Mmm, I'm using an optical cable between the DVD and reciever, but I will have to check the bitstream/pcm settings. Other DVDs' like movies sound superb so I will have to play around and check a few different things I guess.

Thanks for your help,