5.1 setup for bedroom under $500

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ArthurJ, Jun 22, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I want a good 5.1 setup for my bedroom, it's 12x12, not very big at all. It will be used to watch movies and play XBox. I will also do a fair bit of musical listening but it won't be critical listening due to the poor room positioning and shape. I'm looking for a package and it doesnt have to include a sub. Infact I rather have a good quality 5 speaker package then a mediocore 5.1 package. I can do a DIY sub/amp anyways. I seen somebody reccomend a NHT 4 1/2" bookshelf I beleive it was. There on sale for like $80 each shipped. How are these compared to say Paradigm Titans? And are there any nice 5 speaker packages to be had betweeen $300 and $500? Thanks!

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Wharfedale offers bipole surrounds for $99 a pair (WH-2 is the model number). They're available at amazon.com. I got a pair this week and I'm quite pleased with them.

You can see what they look like here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

Amazon has the black version in, with the other versions coming soon.

You could also get Polk, NHT, JBL or Wharfedales for the remainder. Amazon.com and jandr.com have very good discounts on the JBL speakers.

Other forum members can maybe suggest some additional specialty brands.

3. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

I recommend the SCH K05B50s.

http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B50.htm

Good drivers, good crossover, and great sound to boot. They're relatively short on bass, but if you'll add a subwoofer, I wouldn't worry about it. I believe they're also $80 a speaker.

4. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

GREAT, thanks guys...

Any more suggestions?

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Well, this isn't exactly a package but:

* Two pairs of Boston Acoustics CR55's for fronts and rears.

* And a Boston Acoustics CRC for the center.

All for 15 cents under your maximum dollar amount. [​IMG]

And I have no idea why Bostons aren't mentioned here more.

LJ

6. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

ArthurJ,

If you don't need a subwoofer, I would suggest the NHTs that you mentioned. I think you are talking about the NHT SuperZeros that are currently on sale at onecall.com for $87.38 each w/ free shipping (436.90 for 5). I think this is one of the best deals going and I don't think you can find much else for less than $500 that will equal these in terms of sound quality (NHTs are known for their uncanny neutrality and uncolored sound reproduction and some actually prefer the Superzeros to the SB1s which replaced them).

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_1104.htm

You even get a choice of black or white depending on what match your decor better. Onecall also has a 5 Superzero + sub combo for $589.90 + shipping, but I haven't ever heard of the sub they are offering as part of the combo, so cannot comment on whether it is actually a good sub or just a throw in to complete a 5.1 package.

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_18153.htm

I would personally grab the Superzeros and then purchase a better sub some other place.

If you want a 5.1 package for under $500, check out the Energy and Acoustic Research systems, both some of the best 5.1s in the price bracket but whose satellites pale in comparison with the NHTs.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=2455237

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...s.jsp?cid=1116

Hope this helps,
    Victor

7. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Victor, thanks for the advice. My only question is this...

How do the SuperZeros compare to the Paradigm Titans? This setup is going to be my permanent bedroom setup! But the last thing I want is weak satts. I will probably do a DIY sub/amp. If the superzeros are that good then I will place my order tommorow!

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Acoustic Research HC6 at ~$400 would be a fine choice.

9. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

ArthurJ,

I have heard both the Paradigm Titans and the NHT SuperZeros (though admittedly during 2 different sessions), and thought the NHTs superior. However, they each have their strengths and so the final decision rests on what qualities you are looking for.

Both throw a wide soundstage and could easily fill up your 12x12. Particularly in the midrange, the NHTs produce an unbelievably beautiful sound and reproduce music with unerring accuracy. The treble is also very sweet and uncolored, but can be a little harsh when played at very loud levels (after all, even a good design cannot overcome the physical limitations of a small box).

The other caveat is that while the NHTs are IMO superior to the Titan in the detail and accuracy of the highs and mids, that is all the NHT can play -- bass below 90Hz is virtually nonexistant. This necessitates that they be paired with a subwoofer for HT and even for music with any sort of serious bass. Also, the accuracy and detail of the NHTs is a double-edged sword as the SuperZeros are very revealing of poor recordings.

The Titans, while sounding very good, aren't quite as clear or detailed in the midrange and treble, but as a byproduct of their larger size, do have some significant bass production in comparison. Moreover, while I thought they lacked clarity and detail compared to the NHTs and my Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s, for that matter, some people would interpret the sound of the Titans as "warm." Some people like this sound and there's no right or wrong about that. The Titans, by virtue of their larger enclosure, can also be played louder than the NHTs without strain.

Since you have apparently been able to audition the Titans, perhaps you can find an NHT dealer to audition the SB1s since I think most dealers have sold out of the discontinued SuperZeros. Not saying that the SB1s and the SuperZeros will sound identical, but at least you can see what kind of sound NHT is trying to achieve and decide whether or not that is to your liking vs the sound that Paradigm is trying to achieve via the Titan.

Hope this helps,
    Victor