5.1 setup Calibration Problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by spulla, Jul 20, 2004.

1. spulla

spulla Auditioning

I am new to HT. I have VT-12 on Denon AVR 884 (Same as AVR 1804). I set up a 5.1 surround system for now, not planning to use the rear center in near future. The problem I have is that I can hear only from my right speakers(Right Front, Right Rear, Center and Subwoofer) I can't hear anything from my left speakers. However, when I performed TestTone I could hear all the speakers individually. I am not doing anything specific to calibrate the setup yet. I expected that the receiver automatically sends some kind of signal to all the speakers and I could go on from there. I don't know why is that happening. Not sure how do I fix this. Please, help.

PS. I was playing "Lord of the Rings" to test the setup.

Receiver: DENON AVR 884/1804
    Speakers: HSU Ventriloquist VT-12
    SubWoofer: Dayton 10" (Could not afford STF-1/STF-2)
    DVD Player: JVC XV-N5
    Speaker Cable: RCA 14 Ga

2. John S

John S Producer

What is your connection audio wise from the DVD player?

Should be optical? Sounds like it is analog with only one side hooked up or something.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm with john s.

i'm guessing when you run the test tone, you are doing it from the receiver? i'm also guessing you are using the red & white plugs to connect the dvd player to the receiver?

instead...hook up the dvd player with the DIGITAL connection to your receiver. should solve the problem.

4. spulla

spulla Auditioning

Thank you Guys for the replies.

I will try the digital Connection.

SP

5. spulla

spulla Auditioning

Thanks for the help. I got it fixed. Just, analog connection but somehow it all started working. May be the cable was loose or something.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you *must* use the digital connection. otherwise your receiver is not going to be able to correctly decode 5.1 surround sound.

just an fyi....