What's new

5.1 Receivers for under $400 (1 Viewer)

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Folks,
My father is looking to purchase a new receiver for his home theater set-up. His budget is in the $350 to $400 area. His criteria are: ease of use, a rock solid power supply, S- video switching, dolby digital (5.1).
Thanks,

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Indeed there are plenty of choices. Some of the better brands and models are the Onkyo TX-DS595, Denon AVR-1802, and Yamaha RX-V620. Those would be my favorites to look at in the under $400 price range. You should be able to get the Onkyo delivered for $400 from JandR.com and they are an authorized dealer.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I just bought a Kenwood VR-510. Seems pretty good with Pro Logic II, THX Select (who cares), RF remote, 6 channel pre-ins, 6 channel pre-outs. DTS, DD5.1. Missing 4-channel stereo though.
Now that I have it, I think Dolby Pro Logic II is an absolute must.
I paid $552 CAD ($356 US).
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
At that price range, look no further than the Onkyo 595.
Here's why:
2 coax/ 2 digital inputs (less likely to run out)
DD/DTS/DPL2
all binding posts
S-vid switching
turn-on volume memory
max-volume setting (avoid speaker blowouts)
5.1 inputs
Here's what people might say against it:
not enough power - if you have reasonably efficient speakers, the Onkyo will have plenty of juice, and unlike lower end Sony and others, it will deliver its power when all channels are driven
no pre-outs - realistically, are you going to add outboard power amps to a $400 receiver??
a few months ago I did all the research into receivers in the sub-$500 range, and this was it.
EDIT: I checked out the Yammie 620 that Jeff mentioned. If most of your devices will be optical, this looks like a solid receiver as well. 4 optical/ 1 coax is pretty nice for under $400! Though, I wish it was 3/2.....
RichardH
[Edited last by RichardH on August 23, 2001 at 05:49 PM]

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Kenwood 507. Actually I bought the HTB-504 which included that. What a great system! The receiver will last me long time.
------------------
"I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks