What's new

5.1 or 7.1 (1 Viewer)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
I was just about to pull the trigger on a 5 by 200 amp (Outlaw 755)but I saw a match for my rear speakers on sale (Pinnacle classic gold mini-monitor) that I could use as center rear. My question is whether 7.1 is that much of an improvement especially for my setup. My room is 15 by 21 feet but I have bookcases in the rear meaning that the rear center speakers would have to be on top of them or about 6.5 feet off the floor while the side rears are about 4 feet off the ground.

The minimonitors have been discontinued so if I let this sale go I may never be able to match the rest of my speaker system (Pinnacle classic golds all around),

Any suggestions?John

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I say by all means go for it. It's always best to be prepared for the future even if you not 100 percent ready for 6.1 or 7.1. At some point all receivers will have 6 or 7 channels for discrete sound. I don't know what you have now and if your current pre/pro or receiver have 6 or 7 channels plus LFE take advantage of it.

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
I have bookcases in the rear meaning that the rear center speakers would have to be on top of them or about 6.5 feet off the floor while the side rears are about 4 feet off the ground.
Could you rearrange some books and put the speakers in the shelves? just a thought

but yea, 7.1 is a big improvement IMO, it just creats a more immersive(spelling?) sound field.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree, buy the speakers. Even if you don't end up using them at all, you're still prepared if you do. You can sell them later on if not. I have gone from 5.1 to 6.1 to 7.1 over the past 2 years or so. I'd never go back. :)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I did order the speakers. My present receiver is an old Yamaha 793 (5.1) with pre-outs. I may now ordr the 770 and eventuallyget a pre-amp or order the 755 and go with 2 monoblocks when I am ready to order thepre-amp (perhaps an Outlaw 950).

Decisions. Decisions.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks