What's new

5.1 or 7.1 in a HT room 12 x 19? (1 Viewer)

RyanSmith

Auditioning
In my opinion what dictates the 5.1 or 7.1 choice is not the size of the room, but the shape of the room. If you have 4 walls with only one door you are good to go with 7.1. If you have a room that has 3 walls, and would require one or more speakers to be installed off of the ceiling, then your better off with 5.1. Remember all speakers should be installed at ear heighth when possible, adding 2 extra speakers that would have to be installed on the ceiling would be more hassle than beneficial. Only exception would be if all speakers were installed off of the ceiling. But then I would reccomend changing that. Let me know if this is helpful.
Ryan

rob-h

Second Unit
the side and rear speakers do not need to be at ear level. They should be 3 feet above. A 7.1 system should work fine in that room barring unmentioned problems.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This choice has nothing to do with room size, as mentioned.
Unless there is some big problem with getting the rear speakers positioned properly, 7.1 is preferred, however don't compromise the rest of the system to achieve 7.1. If you must, begin with 5.1, then upgrade.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
really what should effect what you want...will be seating position. If you have 2 rows of seatin..it can get tricky as I have found out in my 18x12 room

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
two-rows of seating does not affec the choice for 7.1. Two-rows affects choices in your placement of side speakers, not rear speakers. Placing for the front for, means they are in front of the back row, which sucks for the back row. Placing them beside the back row means they are too far back for the front row. The proper solution is to use multiple sides in an array so that imaging is maintained over all rows. The rear speakers go in the back in a 7.1 system, and it doesn't matter how many rows are in front of them, they're just to the rear.

rob-h

Second Unit
I think his concern is that the rear seating would be too close to the rear speakers. I have a room a little longer then his and rear speakers with 2 rows of recliners is not a problem at all.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I have tried multiple configurations of 7.1 in my 17 x 19' room with the back wall being only 2/3rd's and then opening into another room.

I used velour curtains on a brass pole that we let down for audio treatments on the open area. Side wall mounted speakers for the side effects, and two in ceiling speakers with adustable tweeters for the rear effects. Sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread