What's new

5.1 on Cable TV...? (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Just wondering the best way to get my Pioneer 1014tx to run in surround sound for 5.1 broadcasts/shows. Right now i have my cable plugged into my VCR and the red/white rca's go from the vcr to the 1014tx.
Do i have to get some sort of a digital feed instead of just using the RCA's?

jason_l_h

Agent
As far as I know, the 5.1 audio needs to be carried to your receiver via digital interconnect (coax or optical).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You would need a cable box that is capable of passing a digital audio signal. There is no way to get DD 5.1 with the cable hooked up to the VCR, it requires the cable box. Also, it usually requires a subscription to digital cable. NOTE: You are not missing much. Aside from a few movies on the pay channels and/or certain digital channels, most non-HD cable is broadcast in Pro-Logic only.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
CSI seems to be 5.1, if not, it sure does sound like it when it goes through my system.

(component cable direct to a HK receiver)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

5.1 is only available from a cable box through a digital audio connection. If you are connected by a normal red/white audio pair, you are getting Pro-Logic (maybe Pro-Logic II) at most. It is still surround sound, but not near as good as true DD 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks