5.1 on Cable TV...?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by MikeGee, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Just wondering the best way to get my Pioneer 1014tx to run in surround sound for 5.1 broadcasts/shows. Right now i have my cable plugged into my VCR and the red/white rca's go from the vcr to the 1014tx.
    Do i have to get some sort of a digital feed instead of just using the RCA's?

2. jason_l_h

jason_l_h Agent

As far as I know, the 5.1 audio needs to be carried to your receiver via digital interconnect (coax or optical).

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

You would need a cable box that is capable of passing a digital audio signal. There is no way to get DD 5.1 with the cable hooked up to the VCR, it requires the cable box. Also, it usually requires a subscription to digital cable. NOTE: You are not missing much. Aside from a few movies on the pay channels and/or certain digital channels, most non-HD cable is broadcast in Pro-Logic only.

4. Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C Stunt Coordinator

CSI seems to be 5.1, if not, it sure does sound like it when it goes through my system.

(component cable direct to a HK receiver)

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

5.1 is only available from a cable box through a digital audio connection. If you are connected by a normal red/white audio pair, you are getting Pro-Logic (maybe Pro-Logic II) at most. It is still surround sound, but not near as good as true DD 5.1.