5.1 music discs good?

Discussion in 'Music' started by ChrisLazarko, Nov 9, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Does anyone really hear anything in a 5.1 DVD disc? I mean is there really any rear effects? Can these discs be purchased at Bestbuy, and how much are they usually?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Your question might be several, so I'll try to cover what you might mean.

In the FAQ, there are a couple things you should read, specifically this:

"DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD: Next-generation digital audio"

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...533#post650533

And this: "Universal and Hi-Rez (DVD-A and SACD) Player FAQ "

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

In addition to DVD-A, and SACD, there is also a thing called a DTS Music disc, which is not *technically* a CD, although I will call it that for simplicity. It is a plain CD, that tricks your player into thinking it carries regular PCM (which is on a normal, redbook-compatible audio CD). Your player then feeds this stream, which is ACTUALLY a DTS stream, to an outboard decoder, such as a receiever. The CD player does not have the DTS processors to decode the stream. So basically, this is just a disk with compressed DTS music on it, that can be in 5.1 surround.

So while I am almost certain you are asking about SACD and DVD-A, because you titled the thread "5.1 music discs," I included the explanation of DTS discs, which are a VERY different animal from DVD-Audio, and SACD.

Hope that helps.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i picked upa dvd-audio player this past weekend, as long as you have analog connections on the rear of your reciever, you can hear what dvd-audio is all about. it took me awhile, but i understand it now.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes they are avaible at BestBuy. They have there own little section usually labled "dvd-a/sacd" near the cd section. They run between 15 to 20 bucks. Fry's has a better selection and are a couple of bucks cheaper. Listen to Donald Fagen's dvd-a Nitefly, or Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues in dts. These will play on any dvd player and you will soon find out what all the fuss is about. And i'm sure they sound even better in true hi-def. I'm also a big fan of dvd music concerts like Hell Freezes Over and The Dance. These are in DD 5.1 and sound great! Gene

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I am not a HT newbie just that everything I own is on CD and I have never really gotten into DVD Audio. Now how are they recreating Donald Fagens CD into 5.1 so great??? I will have to check this out, that CD was awesome.

6. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I haven't really got a chance to experience dvd-a/sacd, but I have experienced dts music and for the most part I have been greatly pleased. Before you go out and buy a dvd-audio player I would suggest you go out and buy a dts title and see what you think. You should just be able to pop it in the dvd player. Also you might want to drop by http://www.diatonis.com/. There are some dts encoded .wav files that you can burn to create a dts music cd. As for rear effects it's kinda like twix it's all in the mix.
    Some good DTS Titles:
    Eric Clapton & B.B. King - Riding with the King
    Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
    sting - Brand New Day
    Queen - Greatest Hits
    Alan Parson - Freudiana
    Also you should try concert dvds.

7. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Jvc Dvd player that also plays Dvd-Audio so I could see what the fuss was about. At this time, I have 4 Dvd Audio titles:

1.) Metallica's "Black" Album
    2.) Fleetwood Mac Rumours
    3.) Foreigner 4
    4.) Queen The Game

I paid on average about $20.00 each for these titles (at Best Buy), which is more then the plain cd version. Is it worth it? I think so. I really enjoy the "you are there" aspect of the surround sound, it feels like you are in a room with the band all around you as they play. You might want to look for a combo Dvd Audio/Super Audio CD player though as some titles are only released on one format or the other. I have never heard Super Audio Cd but I imagine it sounds as good as Dvd Audio. You will need 5.1 analog connections on your receiver to use either Dvd-A or SACD.

8. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

has anyone noticed that when you have your reciever on MULTI CHANNEL, the songs play diferent then when you have them playing on dplII?

The surround sound is not as loud but there is more detail in MULTI CHANNEL.

9. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

dplII is just taking your stereo mix and simulating 5 channels; although sometimes it does this 'steering' very well, it'll never match a discrete 5.1 mix