5.1 input experts needed!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Colin+M, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

I have two seperate changers, one for SACD and the other for DVD-A. My receiver only has one set of 5.1 inputs. So my question is would this work....

Since the 2 changers sit close to each other, could i get a Y-splitter cable and plug one male end into the SACD player and the other into the DVD-A, and run one cable per channel to the receiver. Seems like this would work since i would only have one unit powered on at a time, so no mixing of signals should occur.

Will this work, or am i crazy?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

this has been asked before. the short answer is "no, you can't use a y-splitter." the long answer you'll have to search for the reason as it escapes me. where do you live in alabama?

kevin t

3. Colin+M

Well crap, i thought i was beating the system.[​IMG]

I'm in Mobile right now for grad school. But i hail from Centre, AL (90 miles north of B'ham).

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

colin:

i live in mobile as well. i too am in grad school, but i've lived here since 1995. small world i spose.

kevin t

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Two 15$ Radio Shack A/V switch boxes will do the trick. I use such a setup and have a/bed with a straight through signal. There is NO audible difference (and I doubt there's even a measurable one). I have (in Can. dollars) an 800$ player and a 500$ player hooked up to a 1800$ receiver via these boxes, and I listen with 3500$ worth of speakers. I'm not listing these prices to brag, but merely to point out that my system is not a 400$ all in one kit that is incapable of revealing any audio shortcomings. (of course, I could be deaf, but I've a/bed it with at least six different people and they couldn't tell the difference either).

switchbox

7. Colin+M

Kevin- are you at USA? i am in the physician assistant program there.

Paul, thanks for the info. I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve 18 wires, guess it doesn't exist[​IMG] Thank goodness for zip-ties and the sort.

Thanks for you input, i'll run the the rat shack tomm. i have to take back 6 y-adapters anyway[​IMG]

8. Colin+M

The Sony looks just a 'tad' expensive. Probably costs more than my 2 players combined.

9. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

colin:

no, i graduated from south in '99 with a degree in sociology. i'm a graduate student with the university of alabama distance education problem. i'm working on my masters in social work. i'm currently doing an internship at mobile infirmary.

kevin t

10. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Why won't the splitters work? I mean as long as you don't play both sources at the same time. I like the idea of the switch box though.

11. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

quoted from the vernerable KeithH:

"Joey, I tried Monster Y-adapters to split my multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio players between one set of 5.1-channel inputs. It didn't work. The playback volume of both players was cut down severely, even if only one component was turned on. It's an impedance issue. Apparently, impedance of the non-playing source cuts down the volume of the source that is playing. It's something along those lines."

i guess the splitters would "technically" work, but then you'll have to deal with or overcome the diminished volume problem. you'll likely have to crank the volume on your receiver/pre-pro and you'll likely get a nice ear full of hiss and/or distortion. good luck.

kevin t