What's new

5.1 in-wall ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

eaglerider94

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I'm looking for a 5.1 speaker set up & was wondering if anyone has ever used in-wall speakers (Klipsch,Polk Audio,etc) as rear surround "ceiling" speakers as opposed to ceiling speakers. Has anyone used in-wall speakers up in the ceiling for the rear?
The ceiling speakers I have researched do not appear to be as well made as in-wall speakers. Most look like 6 1/2 automobile door speakers.
The main seating will be approx. 6 ft from the rear wall and I've read that rear speaker placement should be just behind the viewers which is why I'd like to install them up in the ceiling. The sides aren't an option as one side of the room has sliding glass doors.
Any moderately priced speaker recommendations?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I do not recommend in-ceiling speakers for the fronts and center. The fronts and center have to anchor dialog/effects to the screen and the only way you can do that with in-ceilings is to put the screen on the ceiling. In-ceilings will do in a pinch for surrounds, but they are not optimal.

As far as in-walls are concerned, you are never going to get an in-wall that sounds as good as a comparable box speaker, simply because the enclosure is not being engineered by the company. If you are dead set on in-walls, I'd just choose a manufacturer/price that you are comfortable with and listen to their product(s).

eaglerider94

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Thanks, but I meant the rear speakers. I do plan on hanging front and a rcenter speaker on the front.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, getting back to the point, I disagree with the opinion that the surrounds should be just behind the viewer. I have never seen that recommendation. In fact, I would say the opposite is true. I would mount the surrounds on the rear wall, which is at a decent distance behind the viewers. Surrounds are better when they have room to open up, which can't happen when they are right above the viewer.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

What's better the "created effect" of soundcoming from the screen, or the sound actually coming from the screen? Why not just recommend a soundbar type single speaker, they create a great effect also. Sorry, haven't heard any in-ceilings yet that matched a proper setup.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

When you toe-in and angle your main speaker to the seating position you are in fact doing that same thing by creating the effect.

Just because you have never experienced a good in-ceiling system does not mean it can't be done.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

My mains are postitioned on either side of my screen. Big difference from 10 feet up in the ceiling. But we'll agree to disagree. I will say you are the first to ever feel this way on this forum.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

If sound has to travel 10' for the listening area. With proper speaker positioning and calibration, what is the difference from which direction it travels? Yes it's harder to do with in-ceilings, but not impossible as you would have others believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks