What's new

5.1 in-ceiling recommendations for the following setup.. (1 Viewer)

phiakes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Struve
Hello,
First of all had an opportunity to peruse the forum and will say firstly I appreciate any expertise the members are willing to offer!
Here's what I have:
  • Receiver: Pioneer VSX-821-K
  • Prewired 5 in-ceiling connections and one for Sub located in the rear of living room (I believe the wiring for sub is LFE (co-axial in appearance)).
What can you recommend for a LOW budget for BOTH speakers and Sub for $450.
What can you recommend for a HIGH budget for BOTH speakers and Sub for $650.
The Receiver Cost me $171 (US Dollars). Is my pricing reasonable to get a decent quality sound for the current components that I have? If not, willing to hear whatever suggestions you may have. I'm a novice when it comes to speaker/home theater equipment.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's low and lower. Check out the in-ceiling speakers from Dayton (at Parts Express) and the ones at Monoprice. Sub, Dayton or a BIC.
We never recommend in-ceiling speakers for mains. Other than them being pre-wired, is there any reason you are using them over in-wall or better yet, conventional speakers?

phiakes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Struve
You're correct I'd just prefer to go with what I already have going; the wire is hidden and already run to the correct spots. For example what about these things, Theater Kit of 5 Ceiling Speakers M65.1C... ofcourse it won't appeal to your more discerning/acute ear, are these things garbage or are they okay/not bad, etc. I'm not trying to get top end sound at rock bottom prices, but I would like to get something that's "decent" in quality relative to price points. I could probably go another $100 for speaker/sub to say $750 total (US) if you think that helps.
I'll look at your suggestions thank you for the advice.

phiakes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Struve
You're correct I'd just prefer to go with what I already have going; the wire is hidden and already run to the correct spots. For example what about these things, Theater Kit of 5 Ceiling Speakers M65.1C... ofcourse it won't appeal to your more discerning/acute ear, are these things garbage or are they okay/not bad, etc. I'm not trying to get top end sound at rock bottom prices, but I would like to get something that's "decent" in quality relative to price points. I could probably go another $100 for speaker/sub to say $750 total (US) if you think that helps.

phiakes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Struve

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
In-ceiling speaker acoustics suffer since they have to perform off-axis; plus there's reduced air movement in the rear of the speaker since they are usually thinner. Subjectively, for most of us on this forum they would rank as "not acceptable". But we're here because we're really into acoustics; you may not care, and that's fine too. What can be said objectively is that at similar price points in-ceiling speakers are much worse the their equivalently priced bookshelf speaker. So if you're already on a budget you are greatly reducing you're chance at getting decent quality sound. If you already have the holes in your ceiling you can try them and if you're happy then all is well. Just make sure you purchase from a dealer who offers decent return policy (usually 30 days). By the way, the holes is another reason in-ceiling/in-walls are discouraged. Speaker placement often significantly improves sound; but once you cut a hole in your wall you're stuck.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These are the ones I used for surrounds - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-402
If you can make these larger, angled ones work for the fronts, that would help imaging - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-480

phiakes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Struve
I appreciate the information given! It gives me something further to contemplate and look into, thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks