5.1 hookup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Hansman, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Jeff Hansman

Jeff Hansman Extra

My Pioneer DTS receiver has a 5.1 switch, but when I press it, nothing can be heard from the speakers. I have every channel hooked up except the subwoofer channel, and they all work when I just use the DD setting. I called Pioneer and the tech told me the DVD player has to hook up to the receiver with 6 separate cables to get 5.1 from DVD. Is this right? Reason I ask is I don't think my receiver has the dedicated 5.1 inputs to begin with. Is this the ONLY way one gets 5.1 out of a DVD?

2. Jeff Hansman

Jeff Hansman Extra

I know it's bad form to reply to your own post, but I think I figured it out. Perhaps one of you more knowledgable souls can verify this for me: I found this info from a Google search:

To take advantage of DTS digital surround, you must have either configuration (A) or (B):

Configuration (A): DTS decoding in the receiver or preamplifier (this is the preferred configuration)

(1) a receiver or preamplifier with built-in DTS decoding (look for the "DTS" logo on the faceplate), and

(2) a DVD player with DTS digital output (look for the "DTS" or "DTS digital out" logo on the faceplate). Alternatively you can use a DVD player with DTS decoding built-in with its digital output (in which case you're not really using the decoder in the DVD player), and

(3) use an optical or coaxial digital audio interconnect to connect the DVD player to the receiver or preamplifier

Sounds like the capabilities of my gear (both components do have the DTS logo), but I just haven't figured out how to use it yet :>/ Back to school....

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Try looking in your DVD player's menu and selecting DTS out- on. Hope this helps.

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

From my experience, I had a old sony reciever with 5.1 inputs and a DVD player with 5.1 outputs(toshiba 2200), I had to run 5 wires to my reciever from the DVD player. Within the DVD player I had to select the 5.1 output. I later upgraded to a Denon 3802 where I only had to run a Digital coax to my DVD player, then select digital output. I also had to set the reviever to coax input for DVD.

So from your post you are right there are 2 ways to get DTS(or DD 5.1), the DVD player has the decoders built in, or the reciever has them. From what I have read, when both have the decoder in them, most people use the recievers decoders as the DAC's are better in them.