What's new

5.1, dual zone AV Receiver on a budget (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Need a receiver for a 5.1 setup in the bedroom with a 2nd zone to run the speakers in the bathroom. Would like it cheap. All suggestions appreciated.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
I just bought a refurb Denon 787 from DAK on eBay (DAK is an authorized dealer which makes a difference with Denon) for $250. It's 85 wpc and it does 5.1 with a separate zone or it can do 7.1 without the zone. It doesn't have HDMI though which is probably why it's so cheap. I don't need it myself since I'm not planning on upgrading to HD for a while and when I do I'll just update receivers too. Hopefully I can update within a year or so but in the meantime I expect the Denon to provide me with adequate service. The 786's do have HDMI I believe but you won't find them at a price this low. DAK offers a one year warranty on stuff they sell too which is much better than the 90 day warranty you usually see with refurb stuff.

I don't think you'll see a better deal on a budget receiver than that. I didn't when I looked but I was limited to stuff with pre-amp outputs since I was mainly replacing my old Harmon Kardon pre-amp/tuner separate that kicked the bucket on me. But the amps on the Denon allowed me to get rid of the amp I was using to drive the surround channel which essentially just gave me more room. It also improved my sound over my HK which I should have replaced earlier. There were things I liked about the HK but I think it's more about not having lived with the Denon long enough to learn the best way to set things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks