What's new

5.1 Dolby Sound (1 Viewer)

Mark Mitchell

Auditioning
I have a Sony STR-SE391 Dolby ProLogic Tuner that has a 5.1 6 RCA Connector input. My DVD player only has a coaxial output for sound (other than the two channel RCA connectors).

Do I have any options other than replacing the receiver or replacing the DVD player? Right now I am using the standard 2 channel RCA cable hookups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Buy a new receiver. Dolby digital will be a big improvement over what you are using now. You can pick up an Onkyo or a HK for under $500 now.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There are three options:
1) You can get a Dolby Digital decoder and plug your DVD player in it using the digital cable, then plug the 6 RCA cables from the decoder into your DD ready receiver. This will give you kick ass Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.
2) You can buy a new DVD player with a 5.1 decoder built in, then plug that straight into your receiver using the 6 RCA cables. This will give you kick ass Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and most likely kick ass DTS sound as well.
3) You can get a new receiver. This will give you kick ass Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and DTS sound if your current DVD player has the little "DTS" symbol on the front. This can also give you more "gee-whiz" surround modes like 6.1, 7.1, etc. Personally I don't care much about these as I like to listen to un-DSPed sound the way the producers made it, and very little software was made with the intention of 6.1, none for 7.1 (that I know of).
Option 1) is your most economical solution, and the one I'd recommend if your budget is tight. If you look around you should be able to find the Technics SH-AC300 or newer SH-AC500 for about $100 (You'll also need cables - ARs from Best Buy or Radio Shack Gold are recommended) You can also find DD decoders second hand on Ebay and places like www.audioreview.com on their "For Sale" board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks