5.1 conundrum!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by stephanX, Jul 9, 2005.

1. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

Ive got a pretty bad setup compared to the average htpc owner, but it works, usually.

I have an creative sblive 5.1 card, and i want it to decode my 5.1 dvds, so i went into the settings in the control pannel, and set it to 5.1. easy enough i thought. Opened up windvd, and with a pair of headphones i listened to each of the jacks on the back of the card, however the only ones that were working were the black and green jack (green=mains, black i think = surrounds). So i looked in the setting of windvd(6 just for reference) and i noticed i didnt set it to ouput 5.1 from the analog soundcard, so i did that, did the headphones trick and STILL problems. im only getting audio from those two jacks, my plan is to run 2 receivers, one for the mains, one for surrounds, then split the centre/lfe jack, and run the centre to the mains (phantom center). I also have a sub with amp so i would just run the lfe jack to that.

PLEASE help, im getting a projector soon(infocus x1), and need to get this thing running!

If you need pc specs, its a dell l800r, 800mhz 128 megs of ram, and no, it doesnt skip every ten seconds in case youre wondering.

2. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

As I recall the top jack (the one that is called digital output) doubles as the center and LFE output when you choose 5.1 speakers.

3. stephanX

cant be right, its only a one channel output ( know this for a fact, its meant for a digi out ONLY)

just to top my day off im having copyright protection screw me over, it did this before when i installed daemon tools, and it created a "fake" cd drive, but i uninstalled.

I guess ill try restarting.

Also my SBLive! is weird, it has a game port, and a black green blue pink and yellow set of minis

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

According to TFM for the SB Live! 5.1, the yellow jack doubles as analog centre/sub and digital out. It defaults to analog, and is controlled by the Surround Mixer utility.

5. stephanX

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT MANUAL

that is my exact card, i thought that the yellwo jack only supported one channel output(when i played an mp3, and plugged the headphones into that jack, i only got left channel), i guess i was wrong.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Glad to help. In case you have other Creative products, now or in the future, you can find pretty much everything through their Support site, starting at the Product Documentation link. You need to have JavaScript enabled to make selections for language, products, and OS in the resulting listboxes.