What's new

5.1 computer speaker suggestions. Less then $200 (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
My mom is going to get me a 5.1 speaker setup for my computer as my Christmas present. I have a budget of $200. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I want a 5.1 setup and not a 4.1 because I am going to be getting a DVD burner and want a true 5.1 setup for the computer so I can test my DVD's on my comp.

The speakers will primarily be used for games, music, and DVD playback. Most movie watching will be done on my actual theater but I want to have the capability in on my PC.

I have been looking at the Monsoon MH-505 online but I have never heard them, anyone have any expierience with them?

Thanks in advance!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I believe Logitech is coming out with a new line of 5.1 spkrs...and they usually rock as well as cost a lot less than the reigning king,Klipsch.

Chris Svencer

Stunt Coordinator
The new Logitech ones that Eric is talking about our out and they are sweet, but they want like 300 bucks for them. I second the Z-640's. I have them and like them alot. If you have a smaller setup they are great. They won't fill a larger room like the Klispch or the new Logitechs (I think the Z-680's)but they have good bass and are clear. Hope that helps.
-Svence

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I just bought the Logitech 640 system based on the good reviews I had read, I have'nt had time to hook it up yet. You can find it for about $70 at Newegg.com

Chris Svencer

Stunt Coordinator
Just a question, what kind of sound card do you have? I am guessing you either have a SB Live or Audigy. What kind of outputs do you have?
-Svence

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Unless you're ripping and copying directly commercial DVDs, it's unlikely you'll be authoring 5.1 discs. There are no "consumer" DVD authoring programs that can do 5.1.

-Vince

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Chris Svencer, I am building an all new computer after Christmas, I will probably end up getting the Audigy 2. Not 100% sure though.

Vince I know that, but I wont be using a "consumer" level DVD authoring program. Plus I also plan on making demo discs that will be using pre-recorded media.

Chris Svencer

Stunt Coordinator
If you just plan on testing mostly, rather then watching 5.1 on your system I would go with the Z-640's. They sound good enough for what you will need. The only thing they don't have is a remote, which I have one from the Audigy Platinum (whether you go Audigy 1 or 2 I would spend the extra cash for the platinum, nice to have a remote and some digital in's and outs). Also I don't think you will need all that extra stuff that some other setups have like ProLogic Decoding and stuff since your Audigy will do it all for you.
-Svence

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Now I am not putting down the 640's but they are well below my budget, and if I can get something better within my budget I would like to. I keep reading very good things about the Monsoon MH-505's and I am leaning towards those, anyone have any expierience with them? I won't write off the 640's completely, I will see if I can take a listen to them locally, I am pretty sure I saw them at my local Best Buy.
I do play a lot of games so a nice set of speakers won't go to waste, plus once I get the new computer I may find myself watching more movies on my computer, doubtfull though since I have a front projection setup :)

John^^Lee

Grip
I would recommend the Logitech z680 over Klipsch PMS 5.1, the Logitech. The Logitech's are cheaper the Klipsch's, but their build quality is excellent, and IMHO sound better. 640's are low-budget speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread