What's new

5.1 Cable Box (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I've had this question on my mind for a long time and thought it was about time I ask it.
Even though I am not a big TV Watcher and never ever watch a movie off of Cable TV, something has been bugging the shit out of me.
I have digital cable, and of course a Digital Cable box. General Instruments is the Brand. On the front of the Box is a nice CLEAR Dolby Digital Logo. But in the back, there is no Dolby Digital Hookup to be found. No Coax, No Optical. Just your standard Crappy L/R. Um did I miss something here? Why have Dolby Digital Cable if you can't hook it up to a Dolby Digital decoder??
------------------
"Uh-oh."
"Don't tell me, we're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
"Yep."
"Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
"Most likely."
"....Bring it on."
My DVD List
Home Theater Site

Martin

Auditioning
Thank you - I have been asking this question for some time and been frustrated by the seeming lack of reasonable response. Does the lack of video out (S-Video for example) bother you too? Comcast (my provider), has no plans to do anything about this.
As best an answer I get, it is DD 2.0, or perhaps at best Dolby Pro Logic since it has only right and left RCA's. This is really burning me up, especially now that even HBO is transmitting in DD 5.1. Apparently, the signal received by the box is in fact digital, even though there is no way to transmit that signal from the box.
If anyone has an answer, or - an aftermarket box, please let us know.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
The cable box I received from Time Warner is a Pioneer model, and last night I watched the beginning of Road to El Dorado just to see if it would indeed lock on a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, and lo and behold, it did. So you'd definitely have to ask your cable company if they can get you a new box.
PS. I've never seen Road to El Dorado, but is the mix as subdued and front-heavy on DVD?
[Edited last by Mark Basile on July 25, 2001 at 12:42 PM]

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have a Motorola(model eludes me at the moment) that has the Dolby Digital logo on the front and has what appears to be a digital coax out that is labelled SPDIF. It is the same colour as the digital out on my DVD player. I have not had the opportunity to check this out as my HT is in a different room than the Digital Cable box(don't ask!) but I am sure this is Dolby Digital out. Check with your cable provider and they may be able to upgrade you to a DD box.
Rich
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on July 25, 2001 at 12:49 PM]
[Edited last by Richard Travale on July 25, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

Clark Rozier

Agent
Hey guys
I have "Digital Cable" courtesy of Charter and my cable boxes are Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3000s.
They're all equipped with...
1 composite video output
1 S-Video output
1 set of analog audio outputs
1 coaxial digital audio output
also 2 firewire (1394) connections and a usb connection that aren't being utilized.
Everything above channel 100 is "digital" and on the pay stations...
HBO - 5.1 just recently for special showings
HBO's 5 other channels 2.0 (as far as I know)
Cinemax - 2.0 is all that I have ever seen, may be 5.1 sometimes but I haven't seen it.
Cinemax's 3 other channels 2.0 (afaik)
Showtime - practically every recent movie is in 5.1, as well as my favorite show Stargate SG-1!
Showtime's 4 other channels the same!
The Movie Channel (TMC) same as Showtime!
From what I'm hearing on this board, I must be pretty lucky with my current cable service.
blush.gif

Clark
[Edited last by Clark Rozier on July 25, 2001 at 01:34 PM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
My area is strictly limited to AT&T Broadband. There is only one cable box available. It has the DD logo, but no digital audio out, and no S-video out. It's a peice of crap, and it really irritates me that I can't do anything about it.
Whoever said that digital cable is all about more (advertising) channels is spot-on. The thing is, I can't even subscribe to the analog version. Again, I am limited by my area.
icon13.gif

------------------
SAM

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I think most of us suffer with these crappy boxes, mine is also the one with the logo and no way of getting it out! I'd even settle for darn S-Video port out of the stupid thing!
Does anybody know anyone that can sell you a better one? I don't mind paying the subscription cost (so please admin I'm not trying to cheat here so don't close this thread) I just want my DD and S-video!
------------------
Jeff Leeds
[email protected]

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys I just have to say this. IF you want 5.1 get DSS. You guys are screwing around with cable and cable truly does suck. I have cable but its really bad.
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks