5.1 audio connection

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dick Knisely, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

I want to make a 6-wire/connector connection from DVD to receiver. I see special cables for just that but they're really pricey. Any reason that 3 good quality RCA audio cables couldn't be used? or 2 good RCA audio+composite video cables?

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Short answer: Nope, you don't need anything exotic.
    Long answer: You might want to use cheap(er) video cables, that tend to be better quality. Also, if the distance is more than 6 feet, you may want to spend a little more.

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

You'll want to use audio cables for the "5" connexions [L,C,R,Ls,Rs], and a video cable [75 Ohms] for the ".1" [LFE]. That's what I do to hook up my AC-3 processor, and it works like a charm. To be specific, since I run 4.1 [no centre], I use one A/V cable and one stereo pair. You would need an additional mono cable; video cable wouldn't work as well, due to the impedance mismatch.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Chris & Chris -- thanks. Hadn't thought about the LFE channel but that makes sense and matches my receiver->sub connection cable. I've got an extra video cable on hand, have to get one more audio cable and I'll be set.

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Just a quick follow-up. Made the 5.1 connection with 2 1/2 decent RCA connector audio cables and 1 RCA connector video cable. Works just great at 1/3rd the cost of the pricey name-brand version.