1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

5.1 audio connection

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dick Knisely, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

I want to make a 6-wire/connector connection from DVD to receiver. I see special cables for just that but they're really pricey. Any reason that 3 good quality RCA audio cables couldn't be used? or 2 good RCA audio+composite video cables?

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Short answer: Nope, you don't need anything exotic.
    Long answer: You might want to use cheap(er) video cables, that tend to be better quality. Also, if the distance is more than 6 feet, you may want to spend a little more.

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

You'll want to use audio cables for the "5" connexions [L,C,R,Ls,Rs], and a video cable [75 Ohms] for the ".1" [LFE]. That's what I do to hook up my AC-3 processor, and it works like a charm. To be specific, since I run 4.1 [no centre], I use one A/V cable and one stereo pair. You would need an additional mono cable; video cable wouldn't work as well, due to the impedance mismatch.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Chris & Chris -- thanks. Hadn't thought about the LFE channel but that makes sense and matches my receiver->sub connection cable. I've got an extra video cable on hand, have to get one more audio cable and I'll be set.

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Just a quick follow-up. Made the 5.1 connection with 2 1/2 decent RCA connector audio cables and 1 RCA connector video cable. Works just great at 1/3rd the cost of the pricey name-brand version.