5.1 Analog vs. Optical?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jeff Killion, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Jeff Killion

Jeff Killion Auditioning

Does one sound any better than the other??

I'm thinking about getting a new DVD player that will play SACDs. When I hook up the 5.1 analog cables, is there any reason to use the optical cable as well? Seems to me that the a/d and then d/a conversion might nullify any advantage optical might have in the audio transfer...

Anyone tried both and have any comments/recommendations?

Anyone have any DVD player recommendations that play SACDs?

By the way, this is my first post here and I'm excited I ran across this board. I'm sure I'll be around relatively often.

My system:
    Panasonic 50" LCD
    Yamaha HTR-5660 Receiver
    Samsung HD DirecTV receiver
    Hughes 230 hr. Tivo DirecTV receiver
    BIC America 6.1 surround sound speaker setup
    ...and a piece of crap Toshiba 5 disc DVD player, not even progressive scan.

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

The optical would be for you DD or DTS tracks for the DVD section of the player. The 5.1 analog section is strictly for the SACD section, otherwise it will just play in 2 channel mode. There's a few license agreements out that force manufacturers to not use an optical out with their players (well at least the mass consumer grade ones) to prevent piracy.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There are three ways to do this:

Digital Coax.

Digital Optical.

And analog (6 coax cables).

Between Digital coax and optical, there should be no real difference, though purists might argue otherwise. I'd just use coax since those who DO argue that there is some difference in the transmission method prefer coax, and since it's cheaper.

Using analog interconnects from a DVD player utilizes the DAC's in the player for DD/DTS, if existant. This may or may not be better than the dacs/decoders in your receiver. Most regular DVD players don't have multichannel decoders, and only have stereo analog outputs.

For SACD/DVD-A, you *MUST* use the analog outputs when listening to SACD/DVD-A. The decoding for high-res is all IN THE PLAYER, so you must run 6 coax cables from the player to your receiver. You may also want to run a digital cable, either coax or optical, if you use that player for movies, to let your receiver do the DD/DTS decoding for regular DVDs.

Hope that helps! [​IMG]

4. Jeff Killion

Jeff Killion Auditioning

Thanks guys...that's exactly what I needed to know!