5.1 Analog Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Justin_Waine, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Justin_Waine

Justin_Waine Extra

Just setup a 7.1 system. I have an Oppo 971 player that has 5.1 analog audio out. Which would be better to use for DVD (movie and mostly TV shows) watching? 5.1 analog or using the Optical TOSLink cable?

Will my DVD player only output through 5 speakers (plus the sub) if i use the 5.1 analogs? I'm just curious as to what the benefits of the analog connections are as compared to the optical. Thanks!

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    It depends which one (Oppo or receiver), has the best DACs. Hook it up both ways. To listen through the 5.1 analog connection, you use the "Multi-Channel" mode, instead of "DVD" mode. DVD mode is through the digital Optical cable. Redbook cds will play through the optical cable too. I see also, from the Oppo's specs, that it plays DVD Audio discs? Multi Channel is how you listen to them too. Too bad it doesn't do sacd too.

Listen to a dvd both ways, and see which sounds the best to you. When you switch from digital to analog, you may notice a drop in volume. The Oppo seems to be a pretty nice player. Enjoy!

3. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

The analog ouputs are on the 971 to take advantage of DVD-A as well as allow you to use its onboard decoder for DD/DTS if you're receiver doesn't have a decoder, but does have 5.1 inputs.

Yes, you will only get sound from the 5.1 on your receiver if you use the 971's analog outputs. The possible exception is if your receiver will allow you to overlay DPL-IIx on the analog input...it would then be able to derive the surround back channel for you.

The digital connection is most likely your best choice for DD/DTS decoding, and possible only choice if you want to use 7.1. If nothing else, your receiver probably offers better bass management than the Oppo...don't know about the 971, but the 970 has a 120hz crossover.

-Brent

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The crossover in the Oppo is fixed-- your receiver probably allows you to to select the optimum frequency.