5.1 Analog Connections

Steve>JF

Agent
Can someone tell me what the 5.1 analog connections on some DVD players and receivers are used for? Is there any advantage to using this connection instead of digital coaxial or optical? Do they work with other features of the receiver (THX, ProLogic IIx, etc.) to give a 6.1 or 7.1? I noticed only some DVD players have them, but a lot of receivers have them. How will these be used for Blue-Ray or HD DVD? Any answers are appreciated!

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
The most common use is for SACD and DVD-A formats, which is why you'll see them on all players that play there formats, but on far fewer that don't. There are very few other ways to send these formats to a receiver and those (iLink, HDMI) require specific receivers.

Historically, analog outputs were on DVD players that included DD/DTS decoding when it wasn't yet common in receivers.

Moving forward, it lets receivers without HDMI handle new audio formats on HD-DVD and BluRay.

Steve>JF

Agent
Thanks, Brad. So, when I finally get an HD-DVD or BluRay Player (after the dust settles on the whole thing), I won't need to buy a new receiver to take advantage of the new soundtracks (mine has no HDMI connections and I like it)?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els