1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

5.1 analog cable bundle?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Andy_Hamric, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

Now that I have an SACD player on order, I've been looking around for cable bundles that have all 6 analog cables for the connection together (rather than 6 individual cables). I've seen some at BlueJeansCable for around $75.00, but this seems like an awful lot of money just for cables! What are my options here? Is something out there for, say, $50.00? Maybe I could get 6 individual cables for less and tie them together?

Thanks!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Andy.

Well, you wont find many 6-cable bundles as 6 coaxial cables make a very thick, hard to work with bundle. It gets bad if you need something like a 2-foot length to go from the player to your reciever.

And the price for 6 individual cables may actually be more than some bundles because of packaging. The real cost in cables is the labor to measure, cut, strip and attach RCA plugs. It's about the same for 6 singles or 1 bundle.

Component video cables make dandy audio interconnects. This means you can get L/R/Video or the less expensive Component video cables from Radio Shack or the AR-Pro brand. These will give you 2 bundles of 3 cables which is more managable.

But... check the prices. The cheaper Radio Shack cables sell for about $29/set so this will set you back $60 before tax. The AR Pro component cables from Best Buy are about $35/set so this is $70 before tax.

(The custom cable sites are about this price so they are not really out-of-line.)

There are some places that have RCA brand component cables for about $15 per set so this might work better for you.

PS: I just read about some Radio Shack stores selling their higher-end "Fusion" cables for 40% off. This could be what you need for your price.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Try ramelectronics.com

4. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

My opinion is that the Bluejeans cable is a good deal. There are several advantages to their setup including different color connectors for each wire, and the tek flex bundle to keep the mass of wires neat and organized. That being said I initially used whatever RCA cables I had laying around to connect my SACD and it worked fine it was just a mess to figure out what was connected where and the cabling was a real rats nest.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Wire labels with a simple A/B/C.. coding scheme can help. Radio Shack has some with a white-writable area and heavy plastic tape that wraps over the label.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

best buy is also now carrying some cable labels as well. they're from samsung, about 10 bucks, available in the ht section.

7. Andy_Hamric

Well, the idea of buying some component GE cables (6-feet... ouch!) for $15.00 a pop sounds like a decent deal, less than half the price of BlueJeans. I'm very money conscious right now, because I'm also funding a RPTV and the only money I have to spare is all coming from my tax return... my third degree is eating up $10,0000/year in schooling.

Thanks for the input. Although ramelectronics.com isn't a dealer of cable so not sure what that link was for.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you were going to that route I'd strongly go with the Acoustic Research brand. On my old 32" set, I noticed a rather large difference between the 2 on component video for dvd. I went and thought that the GE's were defective so I returned 2 sets as I actually for whatever reason bought the old "they might be defective" line of crap. No they were just cheap cables. The AR brand is pretty reasonable and won't break your budget. I know Best Buy has them. I know AC4l.com has them too(or did at one point).

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i totally agree. i did some unscientific blind testing between ar and monster ... saw and heard zero diff.

11. Andy_Hamric

Thanks for the weblink Chu and thanks for the information guys. At www ramelectronics net / html/ audio_cables html a little ways down the page is the 5.1 cables bundle. Do these look a little thin to you? Do you think it matters? I just don't want to have wacky interference (don't think I ever have before in Audio). The system is a hodge podge of Technics receiver, Infinity RS-4 mains and HPS center (not the best match) and some old Aiwa bookshelf speakers for rears. I have a feeling the stereo SA will work better for me than multichannel, but one never knows.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well these are audio interconnects, right? So the thickness is irrelevant (doesn't matter what the gauge is) and so long as they're shielded you should be good to go. Now if you don't like the way they look, well that's another matter entirely. Also check out www.knukonceptz.com as they've got a few cables.

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I back Chu on the thickness issue. The thinner, mini-RG59 type coax is a lot more flexable for interconnects. Even for video, the 3-conductor mini coax is popular because the full-thickness component cable will almost lift your DVD player off the shelf if the cable is in a tight "U" shape.

The thin stuff (as long as it is shielded) should be fine for a 5 channel audio system.

14. Andy_Hamric

The description of the cables reads "Bare copper conductor and shield (not tinned) for better sound characteristics, PVC Insulation and jacket, Gold plated connectors."
    I don't know anything about shielding, really, except that it's good to have. Does this sound reasonably shielded?

Thanks again for the input, I've really appreciated it. As for looks, I could care less, it's going to hopefully be fairly well hidden and I'm not one to brag about my cables.

15. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of shielding,...Chu, you kill me man,...You are a walking audio video database. I love seeing your posts. Kudos for all your help,...
    Say your building cables yourself,..or buying cables off the shelf,..In your experienced oppinion, would adding extra shielding to the outside of the cable, be of any benefit?
    Kevin,...>>>--->

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Andy: well you can always email them to find out what the nature of the shielding is. Usually it's double or triple and either way is fine.
    Kevin: Only if you've got a problem and for most of us that's a rarity. If you know what the problem is, sometimes it's just easier to move the problem instead of spending more money.

17. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Shielding has been used as a marketing item by some companies to justify $$$ price tags.

Any good coaxial cable has a shield and this is very necessary to protect the line-level signals on the center conductor. Shielding also keeps the signals inside the cable.

But beyond a good mesh or foil shield - there is very limited return on any extra.

Here is the problem: the shield is connected to the body of the RCA plug. The RCA plug connects to the RCA jacks and these are connected to the zero-volt (electrical ground) in your electronics.

Over a long run, a 'shield' is another name for 'antenna'. People often get hum/noise from their CATV coax. This is because the 'shield' has picked up 60 hz noise by running near power wires.

So triple/quad shielding really does not help anything. If your cables are too-near some high-energy fields - the solution is to move your cables. Single/double/quad shielding wont help as it is just feeding the noise into your electronics.

So ignore the distracting hype on some cable web sites about how their higher-end cables have better shielding. Like the number of cuts in the RCA plug - it has little or no real performance improvement.