5.1 (6 channel) otputs/ inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RaphaelZ, Jan 29, 2004.

1. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

Hi,Ive also posted this question on the Audio/ Video Sources forum. Don't know which one's better.

Lookin at buying a new DVD player, entry level. I've seen a few with a 6 channel (5.1)output on the rear panel (6 RCA's) in addition to the ususal digital Coax and Optical. These DVD players are NOT DVD Audio players. My HK 310 receiver has a seperate 6 channel input. What would be the advantage to this setup if its not an actual DVD audio player? How would this be better than just using the one Caox for my 5.1 discs? Why have both and how can I use it? Also, what kind of cables would I use? Simple RCA style?

Thanks,

Confused.

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

If you were to hook it up with the 6 cables, you could just use regular RCA audio cables. However, the only way this would be advantageous is if your DVD player has better encoders (dts, Dolby Digital, etc.) than your receiver does, which is generally not the case. Or you might want to do this if your DVD player decodes a format that your receiver cannot.

Most likely, you'd be better off using a digital (coax or optical) cable to your receiver.

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    If they don't play dvd-audio discs, maybe they play sacd discs........
    Some players will play one or the other, and some play both.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Back in the day, when dolby digital was just catching on, many people had regular pro-logic receivers. Many receivers incorporated 6 channel inputs, so that you could use an outboard decoder, and feed it the 6 channels of a decoded DD or DTS mix, and not have to buy a whole new receiver. So DVD players for a time often came with on-board decoders, that would decode DD and DTS, and pass the 6 channels in analog to the receiver (which often was only pro-logic, and had no DD/DTS decoding capabilities), so then you could get DD/DTS without having to buy a whole new receiver.

If you have a receiver that handles DD/DTS, then there is no reason to buy a DVD player specifically for it's onboard decoders (unless it has extremely good decoders, which is unlikely).

DVD-A and SACD players of course, have a very significant need for the analog connections, however not for a regular DVD player in your case.

5. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm getting the idea now. A few questions. If I were to play an DVD-Audio disk through one of these players (hooked up through the 5.1 analog outputs), and selected the 6-channel input source on my HK receiver, would I get anything? How do DVD audio disks sound through regualr DVD players using Dolby or DTS? And finally, If I buy a player that says DVD-Audio (2 channel only), whats the point?

Thanks

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

In my opinion, at this point in time, there is no point.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I were to play an DVD-Audio disk through one of these players (hooked up through the 5.1 analog outputs), and selected the 6-channel input source on my HK receiver, would I get anything?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. You'd get full resolution DVDA or SACD. Thats how I have my Pioneer Elite 45A hooked up to my H/K AVR225. The quality of the audio depends on your DVD player, because it is doing the decoding, not your receiver.

No.

Drew: I know you are referring to DVDA and SACD players, in which case you certainly are correct. However, he is talking about a player with standard DD/DTS decoders on-board only, in which case you would NOT get full resolution MLP or DSD from dvda or sacd.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I stand corrected. I'll read closer next time.

Anything not bearing the DVD-Audio (or SACD for that matter too) won't be able to read the high res track on that disc.

So then to correct my post, what you'd get then is the player decoding the DD or DTS track on the disc, and sending that to the receiver.