What's new

5.1 - 6.1 - 7.1.......Is it worth (1 Viewer)

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to disagree with you Craig, but a 5.1 setup does not sound as good as a 6/7.1. In much the same way as 5.1 is different from stereo, 6/7.1 is different from 5.1. It's not that there is a bigger sweet spot or anything of the sort. Try to think in terms of what's on the screen. Imagine Star Wars when the Destroyer is moving over the top of the screen from somewhere behind you, to over you, to in front of you. With a 7.1 system the sound begins in the two(one) rear center speakers, then move into the surrounds and finally move into the fronts and center. This gives you a smooth sound transition that exactly matches what you see on the screen. If it were a 5.1 system the sound would start out in the surrounds and move into the front speakers, oviously this would sound good, but not anywhere close to what you would get from a 7.1 system.

I will try to watch some movies with good rear center sounds when I get home and give you a list of movies you can compare to them in 5.1. I think Gladiator is a good one off the top of my head.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I think that what he or others may be saying is this. SOme true audiophiles feel like 5.1 is over the top and worthless. If you think of it is pure $ terms, think about the level of 2 channel pre-amp, 2 channel amp, and dvd and CD player and ONLY 2 speakers you could have if you took all of the $$ you sunk into having the extra 3.1 in there (this includes the 3 extra speakers and amps, and subwoofer and cables and interconnects as well), sometimes I look at my system that way and think, "wow, Look what I could have had in an only 2 channel system". For some of us it could be the differnce in having a "mid-fi" and a true "hi-fi" system. I really enjoy 5.1 DVDs and especially concerts, but I have seen some DVDs on awesome 2 channel systems that I was blown away by.

I am not saying 2 channel is better than 5.1 is better than 6.1 is better than 7.1 is better than 10.2. All I am saying is that it gives you something to think about, doesn't it?

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
It does give one something to think about, I guess I must have read more into the first post than what was there. I thought we were talking about a theater system not just stereo. Yes, I do agree that if you want a music system then even 5.1 is over kill. But if you are after a theater system then 7.1 is the way to go. The point of a movie IMHO is to immerse you in the action to take you to the place that is created on the screen so that you become a part of the movie. Human sight is 16X9 which is why movies are filmed in this ratio(not exactly but you get my meaning), this give the audience a picture that resembles what they would see in real life if they were there. Human hearing on the other hand is 360 degrees. We hear sounds and can establish position and distance from the millisecond difference sound takes to reach one ear as opposed to the other ear. In order to make a movie more realistic you must achieve a 360 degree soundfield. This means more speakers and more surround modes in order to get the audience to actualy believe that they are in the movie. I can't wait for 10.2 to become a consumer reality as I really try to get into my movies.

The point I want to make is that for an average home theater 5.1 is plenty, I was happy with it for a number of years. For stereo, 5.1 is overkill. For the person who does not have the room or money to get 1 or 2 more speakers then 5.1 is good enough and they should not feel bad about their home theater. For the hard core 'enthusiast' however, 7.1 or more, is the only way to go for a true movie 'experience', not necessarily movie watching.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with you. ANd the fact that you say that 5.1 in smaller rooms is enough, that is so true, in many rooms, there isn't enough room for another amp and speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks