5.1 - 6.1 - 7.1.......Is it worth

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

the additional cost? Can the "average joe" really hear the difference with an "average" system? I'm sure that the hig end audiophiles will say that it is worth it? But is it really........What about THX??????? Does the same hold true with it?

2. Charles Bunnag

Im assuming from your topic you are running a pro-logic system. In that case I would say that upgrading to 5.1 is big difference. Directionality, Sound Stage and Ambience are all improved. Though I dont have much experience with 6.1 and 7.1, I think you can do without it. The difference isnt as big as the change from pro-logic to 5.1. As for THX, I wouldnt worry about that anymore. When things first started out, THX did make a difference. Now every major company is out there to make good products so they dont bother going through THX certification. As long as it sounds good is what really matters.

P.S. Im not ragging on THX. I dont have any THX components, but I still appreciate their work

3. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Agree a 5.1 is a must after that 6.1 and
    7.1 are nice too but not necessarily have
    too options. I have one of each and don,t
    hear any real difference between the 3
    unless of course your setup is in a room
    so large the 1 or 2 back surrounds are a
    must also. Many will say PLII common on 6.1 and 7.1 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, its nice but again have too,
    maybe, maybe not.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As far as 5.1 is concerned, check out this thread and the links listed there. The short answer is that anyone can hear the difference between a 2-channel or ProLogic system and 5.1.
    As for 6.1 and "7.1" (the latter in quotes because there's really no such thing), reasonable minds could, and do, disagree. If you do a search on "6.1" and "7.1", you'll find a lot of relevant discussion.
    M.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Also, check out our PRIMER AND FAQ (link is in my signature)-- it might have some insight for you.

-Vince

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

5.1 is very nice. Whether 6.1 and "7.1" are nice have more to do with your room and sensibilities than simply the number of speakers. I am perfectly happy with the intended recorded format, so I like 5.1 and am not interested in much else.

7. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

I'm running a 6.1 setup with my Denon AVR3801, and I CAN tell a difference with DTS ES, and Dolby EX DVD's. Believe me it is better, But... If you have a pretty small room you won't notice the difference as much. I think that's why some people say they don't hear a difference.
    I have two speakers for the rear surround hence people calling it 7.1, even though your double rears are producing the same signal. It just spreads it out better.
    I personally won't go back to just a 5.1 setup, I love the Discreet DTS ES [​IMG] and even the Dolby EX. Plus with a good receiver you can run a matrix signal to the rears on any dvd.
    [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I think it also makes more difference for people using direct-radiating surrounds. Dipolar surrounds just wouldn't work very well in my living room, so I'm using direct-radiating surrounds. Now that I've moved to 6.1 the surround-soundstage is more complete and enveloping.

9. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I think most people who say you don't need 6.1 or 7.1 are those that do not have 6.1 and most have never heard more than 5.1. I have a 7.1 and the difference from when I moved from 5.1 was astounding. There is a greater sense of acutaly being IN the scene as opposed to WATCHING the scene. Imagine if you went to a live concert or sporting event and you were in the last row with all the sound from the crowd in front of you and to your sides. Sure it's ok, but now imagine you are 5 rows from the front, in the center, and you can hear the crowd all around and behind you. You are now part of the experience as opposed to being a spectator. This is how I think of the difference between 5.1,6.1 and 7.1. I can't even think of going back to 'just' a 5.1 setup. None of this is meant to knock those who have 5.1 and like it or those that can't get more speakers for lack of room design, but to say that 6 and 7.1 is not much better than 5.1 is a gross injustice to the format.

Just my .02 cents.

10. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've got THX and a 7.1 system and wouldn't have it anyother way. I say go big or go home!

11. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Think of it this way...
    2.1 opens up the front
    3.1 Starts to make it move
    5.1 Makes it run around you
    6.1 (with single or dual rears) and with
    7.1 A Wave of Sound (it fills in the top)
    There is no 7.1? Harman International and a couple of new flicks (how many now, 20?) would place a bet on that one.[​IMG]

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

13. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I enjoy Neo-6 and on the rare occasion hear something out of that speaker. However when I do it is really entertaining. I have just purchesed a 5 channel amp and will use the AVs internal amp to push the 6th channel. If I am not mistaken I think in home theater the 7th channel is split from the 6th channel. I guess if you had a large enough room with Neo-6 you could hear a difference with 7.1....of course I have the bug and am work toward the 7.1.

As far as a real difference goes though I think the 5.1 set-up is the most significant and if money is an issue then I would spend what is available on a better 5.1 rather than spreading it across 1 or 2 additional speakers.

Just my 3 cents.

Phil

14. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

15. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

When I switched from pro logic to 5.1 I thought God had blessed me with new ears!!! The difference even with a mediocre receiver was unbelievable! Now that I have switched to 6.1 and 7.1 the difference is still very noticeable but not a must have. YES by all means make the jump to 5.1

16. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I think 6.1 and 7.1 make a lot of sense for a dedicated HT room. In a dual-use room there are just too many speakers involved. If you are buying a new receiver then I'd definitely chose one that gives you the option to upgrade.

17. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    If you're gonna talk about all these psuedo surround modes, don't forget Yamaha's "8.1" which incorporates two front "effects" channels. No idea what that sounds like but I've heard good things about it. Seems strange though.

- Mike

18. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Brad,

Just an "average Joe" or average Mike throwing in his two cents.

I finally got tired of my old Pioneer receiver with 2 fronts/2 rears set-up. Bought a 3802 with 7.1 capability. Used it as 5.1 and was amazed at the difference. After a few months I decided to take a cheap pair of KLF monitors (I'm talking $20 for the pair) and put them in back for 7.1. Had the in-laws over for JPIII and we ALL were stunned at the 360 degree sound as it felt like we were IN the movie vs watching it.

I would say at least demo a few 6.1/7.1 set-ups before making a decision & then decide if your ears like it enough to spend the extra $$$. If the $$$ isn't that much more I'd hate not to get it and have "buyer's remorse" in a very short time. Good luck...Mike

19. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

20. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think it is, most mid end receivers are coming with it I have a psuedo set up with using a second DPL receiver coming from the surround pre-outs of the Harmon Kardon, and I find it quite good. I demonstrated T2 and Pitch Black for some friends both DTS-ES and they were able to tell the difference with the rear center channel. Just don't stop there either, I use with Logic 7 on all two channel applications (dolby pro-logic, stereo) and it works. Not only the surrounds are in stereo by using an algorithim to channel sound from the left and right front channel to corresponding surrounds but, any sound that would appear in both surrounds are sent to the rear center channel. So defintely worth it, it creates a fulling soundstage, and for me I get the "Wow, look at the speakers". See my pixs for the set up on my signature.