What's new

5.1.2 or 5.1.4 for my particular situation (1 Viewer)

DeltaCottonBoy12

Auditioning
Real Name
Walton
Good afternoon from Mississippi. We are in the early stages of building a home, and I am wanting to add a theater feel to our den area. Below is a picture of the layout and dimensions. The initial thought was 5.1.4 (pictured) but I was curious if the two Atmos speakers (yellow) closest to the fireplace were needed in my situation. Do I need 4 ceiling speakers or just two? Our couch will be pushed against the back wall so it is impossible to get anything behind us. We will have the TV above the fireplace, so the Center channel will be resting on a mantle.

Being a novice, if I left out any information that would help someone with a question, please ask away.

Thank you again for your help.

Red = L/R/Center/Surrounds
Yellow = Atmos Speakers
Blue = Seating Position

Keeping room media.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’d definitely say 5.1.2. The second Atmos set should never be in front of you. Totally defeats their purpose. I’d move the first Atmos pair back a bit. You want them about 35-40 degrees forward from the viewing position.

DeltaCottonBoy12

Auditioning
Real Name
Walton
Here is a 3D model of the front of the room. The ceiling will be 10' with a fireplace/bookshelf on the front wall. Couch will be pushed against the back wall. I am assuming that a quality set of Bookshelf speakers are the best route given my room? I planed on In-wall speakers for the surrounds and in-ceiling speakers for the 2 Atmos . The Center channel will be mounted just below the TV, and the L/R speakers somewhere like the picture below.
Capture.JPG

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just recommend raising the L&R speakers to be to the sides of the TV, instead of below it. If you can install small shelves on the side walls for regular bookshelf speakers instead of in-wall it'll open up a lot more flexibility in speakers. Ideally you just get the same model as the L&R ones. In-ceiling is ideal for Atmos speakers.

Also, since your front speakers are somewhat enclosed, you want either sealed or front ported models. Not rear ported ones. That will also allow you to set the surround speakers right up against the wall. Depending on your budget, I highly recommend the ELAC Debut v2 or UniFi v2. In-Ceiling Debut v2 were also just released, which would be a good match for either line.

DeltaCottonBoy12

Auditioning
Real Name
Walton
I honestly don't have a budget just yet, simply because I am still learning what things costs. I currently have a klipsch R-120sw, and an entry 5.1 Denon. I plan on keeping the sub, but everything else will be replaced. Just from the hip, New receiver and new front/ rear/atmos for $1500-$2000. I'm not sure if that's possible, but that is my first thought.

I will admit, I invisioned a Klipsch set up, but that is only because I do not know many other brands. Ill continue to thumb through old threads and pick up info from the pack.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want the most aggressively and successfully marketed speaker in the history of the world, go for Klipsch. If you want the best sounding speaker you can afford, probably at a lower price as well, look elsewhere.

...ducks for cover from all the Klipsch fans...

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
If you want the best sounding speaker you can afford, probably at a lower price as well, look elsewhere.

If you have the room, check out QSC and JBL speakers.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you want the most aggressively and successfully marketed speaker in the history of the world, go for Klipsch. If you want the best sounding speaker you can afford, probably at a lower price as well, look elsewhere.

The most aggressively and successfully marketed speakers in the history of the world are Bose. I actually like Klipsch.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... I'd think Bose and their fans have a beef w/ that pronouncement... :lol:

_Man_

SmCaudata

Agent
Real Name
TJ
Great info. Thank you for the tips. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Im new here and reading posts to get ideas myself, but I thought I'd add something about speakers.

I have some Neat Iota speakers for a two speaker stereo on my fireplace bookshelves. I love these things because they do really well on the bookshelf. They don't get boomy and don't really care about space. They weren't cheap but I'd buy they again.

DeltaCottonBoy12

Auditioning
Real Name
Walton
Still researching sealed or front ported speakers for the L/R. As I mentioned, Klipsch was about the only speaker company in mind, so my mind is being blown by how many different companies are available. Like an f150 truck load of worms. Ha

SmCaudata

Agent
Real Name
TJ
Still researching sealed or front ported speakers for the L/R. As I mentioned, Klipsch was about the only speaker company in mind, so my mind is being blown by how many different companies are available. Like an f150 truck load of worms. Ha
What size are you thinking for the speakers? When looking my one the bookshelf speakers I remember liking the NHTs. I also liked the bigger Focal speakers, I know nothing about the little HT set, but they may be worth a look.

For reciever. I picked up a marantz NR1609 a few years back that I like. The new NR1711 may fit the bill for you. It's small, has a bunch of connectivity and powers 7 channels with of Atmos.

I also have a wireless SVS soundpath module for my sub. Works great.

SmCaudata

Agent
Real Name
TJ
another option. I like my goldenear 3d array. You could look at the Super Sat 3 and 3C speakers. Some find the tweeter hot, but listening is a personal preference.

Again, not sure how big you want to go. 18 ft is a big distance for some tiny satellites.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep. There's a staggering number of speaker brands. A lot of them are good, but a lot aren't all that good. I just know that retailers cram Klipsch down customers throats, which makes me suspect they offer massive incentives. I've heard many stories where sales people refuse to even show anything else, or clearly sabotage the sound of other speakers to favor Klipsch. As a result, an enormous number of people have Klipsch. Going back to my previous comment, they're much better than Bose, but you can still do significantly better for the money. I can just say that with a decent amount of experience with speakers, the ELAC Debut v2 in particular is an exceptional value. An excellent speaker at a really good price. They're not flashy, with sound that stands out in the showroom. They're just a really good, accurate and well imaging speaker.

DeltaCottonBoy12

Auditioning
Real Name
Walton
I chatted with an individual at Klipsch about sealed or front ported speakers, and he had an interesting take on my situation. He advised their rear ported speakers only need 6" of room in the rear. If I toed them in, that would allow more room. He advised the rp-600 would be fine on shelves with proper breathing room.

This didn't say me one way or another, just thought it was interesting. This might be common knowledge around the pack, but I found it interesting.

daddyora

Agent
Real Name
Coy J. Ramsey
To say something positive about the Klipsch line-up, they have something for everyone when it comes to models and sizes. It's just annoying that their specs just don't stand up to scrutiny by "impartial" reviewers. I'm sure that some other manufacturers fudge their numbers but Klipsch seems to have mastered the art. With that said, you do know what sound you get with Klipsch and some of their speakers do sound good. And, obviously, it all works for them and many of their fans.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He advised their rear ported speakers only need 6" of room in the rear. If I toed them in, that would allow more room. He advised the rp-600 would be fine on shelves with proper breathing room.
Just remember. He's trying to sell you something, and that something is Klipsch speakers. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I can talk until I'm blue in the face about (modern) Klipsch speakers simply not being very good, but I can't hold a candle against their marketing juggernaut. I owned a pair of Klipsch, back when they made some good speakers.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Coincidentally, I stopped in a local store today looking for AVRs and speaker options as I try to figure out my room and the salesman pushed Klipsch. And even when I said I wasn't interested in them, he kept coming back to them. He finally played some PSB’s for me that seemed to be all they had in store. It's really hard to find places to listen to speakers in my area any more.

And I know Klipsch has some great speakers both now and in the past, but they also have some that aren't great. So, I would exercise caution. Personally, I'm not a fan of horns tweeters but to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks