What's new

5 1/2" & 6 1/2" Generally Speaking (1 Viewer)

Lee M T

Second Unit
Generally speaking, would a ported 5 1/4" (or 5 1/2") bookshelf speaker bass approximately as hard as a sealed 6 1/2" bookshelf speaker?

I know the quality of the speaker, yada yada are key. But just as a rule of thumb.

Thanks,
Lee

Lee M T

Second Unit
hehe, well, it seems sort of logical.

After I bought my new Yammie receiver, I hooked up my dad's old speakers. They are Infinity Sterling Series, two-way, sealed, 6 1/2" bookshelves. I was highly impressed, but don't really know anything about them. How high up the food chain they are, etc. So, now that I'm on the hunt for a complete HT setup, I've been researching and listening to a ton of speakers. My budget is limited, so one proposed setup is an Energy C series. But I would have to shoot for the C-1 bokshelves, because the C-3's are really pushing the budget. Just not sure how that 5 1/2" ported woofer would do for me. I have not yet heard the C-1 with my own material though, I'm currently putting together a CD to audition speakers with.

Basically, I'm not a critical listener, per se, but I know good sound when I hear it. I just don't want to take a step down from the Infinity's, but it's fairly hard to tell at my local shops. Thier sound rooms are all pretty huge and listening to tiny bookshelves presents a problem. My room is small though, 11' x 10' x 9'. However, I'm thinking of the future too, which I will probably have a larger room, but still nothing out of the ordinary.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
My speakers have a 6.5" woofer in a pretty big box, and are rated down to 55 Hz.

In all honesty, a 'decent' 8" subwoofer will make a WORLD of difference. By cheap, I am thinking Polk Audio or the likes cheapest 8" subwoofer. I used a 8" Jamo sub with my system a few years ago and it made a HUGE difference. The woofers in the speakers did very little.

I know $200 for a sub might be a push, but that might be something to think about. Getting some 30-80 Hz. slam is a LOT better than mild bass above 60 Hz. and nothing else.

In your room size, a nice little 8" subwoofer should actually make some 'real' bass at lower levels. Our 8" Jamo can actually do some damage during movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks