5.1 0r 7.1

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, looking for some help finishing my home theatre,here is my set up:

TV: Samsung HLS6187W
Reciever: Denon AVR2805

I am in the market now for a 5.1 speaker system.
I can not spend a nickle over $500 for the whole set-up.
Can anyone point me in the right direction. SVS is out of my price range
Any help will be appreciated

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia

I was in the $500-$600 range and i had to raise my price. Now iam searching for a good speakers (smalls) between 700-$1k

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
You went kind of high on your receiver cost, if you can only spend $500.00 on speakers - anyway...

I would go with 3 speakers to start - do the front end only, pick up some very cheap surrounds (used maybe) and you will have 5.1
Say $250 for the Fronts, $200 for the center, $50 for a pair of surrounds

Then save and buy some new fronts and move the current 'fronts' to surround duty

Don't worry about 6.1 or 7.1 until you have some more dough - it's better to have 5 good speakers, than 7 crappy ones..

This is what i did, and i am still using the cheap surrounds in my bedroom for occasional listening only

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, your receiver choice was good. You will be less likely to upgrade sooner, but if that leaves you with too little of a budget for speakers then maybe wait until you can afford a nice set of speakers or piece it together as Paul suggests. I might shoot for a 4.1 setup (no center) or cheap out on the surrounds at first. The VT-12 setup I mentioned could serve as a decent stopgap for the time being though.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I agree. The receiver is the heart of your audio system. I have had my Marantz SR-9200 for almost 5 years now and am not even thinking about an upgrade.

When I first got into home theater I started with the obvious. The left and right speakers. Then went to the center channel. I am not a big fan of the phantom mode for your center channel. The majority of a movie and the dialogue comes from the center channel speaker so that was a big priority of mine. Then like many others have said, you can go real cheap on the surrounds until you can spend more to upgrade later. There are a number of excellent choices out there to keep your budget around $500. SVS, HSU and the tower speakers I just purchased which are fabulous, the Premier Acoustic PA-6F tower.

So my suggestion, put together a good 7.1 system one piece at a time instead of going too cheap for a HTIB set up. You will be much more happy when all is said and done.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Don't get me wrong - that is a great avr - just may be a little costly considering the overall budget

I started with a Denon 1601 6 yrs ago - $500.00 CDN
Spent $800.00 on speakers and $300.00 on sub (over a 9 month period of time)

Just upgraded to a Denon 2307Ci - for $900.00

Bought 2 new front speakers - towers this time (Energy eXL -26's)
Now I have a stereo for upstairs (1601 and old fronts - eXL16's)

Anyway, hope you get some ideas from this site

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Definitely stay with 5.1

If there is any pre-wiring involved however, make sure you pre-wire for 7.1 so you can upgrade later!

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hell Yeah - prewire regardless!

I just bought a used Center channel for my 6th speaker - will be setting up 6.1 in my new house

Room is not big enough for 7.1, but i will be running extra sub wires and some Cat 6 as well - easiest when the room is empty

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashwagandhaplus